Network Configuration with WRT54G

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to provide a decently secured wireless connection.

I have a Windows 2003 Server with ISA Server, Radius Server (MS IAS) and DHCP. I wanted to use a WRT54G for this purpose.

I have an existing LAN using IP addresses 192.168.20.13 for the Win2003 server.

I wanted to connect the WRT54G with the 'Internet' connection to this LAN. The WRT54G should now NOT use NAT, but act as a router. The second subnet should have IP addresses 192.168.21.1 provided to the WRT54G and having DHCP addresses allocated to its client. I want to use packet filters to enfore this IP range and protect my LAN.

For connecting to the WLAN I want to use Radius (with WEP) pointing to

192.168.20.13. Is the Internet connection a limitation here? Preferably I would want to force some people to use a specific IP addresses in the range so I can make a distiction between 2 types of users with different access rights on the LAN. What options can Radius provide to support this?

Another option would be the LinkSys making a connection to a local VPN server (Windows 2003 computer) and setting up the packet filter at this location. The disadvantage is the increased load on this system, reducing network performance for fast file transfers. It would be my second option.

What are my (un)possibilities with this suggested configuration or are there suggestions on how to do it better?

- Joris

Reply to
Joris Dobbelsteen
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.