Network between 2 cars

Hello Guys: I want to know if I set up 2 laptops with a wireless cards in ad-hoc mode each laptop in a car, how far away the cars can be connected? Sorry for my poor english... Thanks in advance...

Reply to
yv6eda
Loading thread data ...

Are you expecting to be moving at the same time? Got to ask, why?! :)

Due to the constantly changing RF environment, I wouldn't expect great results unless you opted for external antennas on both cars with the antennas on the roof. Distance wouldn't be the biggest problem but the changing environment as you drove along, straight road, cars adjacent would probably work but in a city where you'll get other objects in the way, other cars in between I wouldn't expect great success with this one.

Haven't tried though, good luck!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Probably only about 125-200 feet, at most. that is, however, given that there are no large vehicles between you.

Reply to
NetSteady

If you're using the built in antennas that come with most laptops, I doubt if you will be able to RELIABLY maintain a connection while moving. Range would not even make it out of the vehicle because of the shielding from the metal car body. You would need to either elevate the laptops to the window level, or otherwise provide a suitable external antenna. However, once you have an external antenna, dopper shift will cause some problems if there is relative motion. It appears that both vehicles are moving together so that won't be an issue.

My guess is you'll get no distance with conventional laptops inside a shielded vehicle, about 20ft with laptops elevated to glass level, and perhaps 100ft with external antenna on the vehicle rooftop.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks guys for all your answers... I was thinking in something like a vo/ip between the cars, share one gps... etc., but better still using my frs radios... Thanks again for your anwers...

Reply to
yv6eda

Keep in mind that some cars have metal window tinting and RF does not play well with that enviorment.

Reply to
NotMe

If you want to do radio, then yes FRS is a much more sensible option.

You could easily share the GPS by using a serial to radio data converter. Don't know what options you have there but something like this should be pretty easy to interface to a GPS outputting NMEA data:-

formatting link
David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.