network

Can anyone help ? Just bought a Linksys WRT54g wireless router.

2 PC's, both have XP with SP2 installed. Both have Belkin 54g wireless cards. Have NTL cable modem.

Want to share the internet connection,files and printer.

Have the modem connected to router,router connected to PC via ethernet card.

Neither PC can see the routers SSID........... Any ideas ?

P.......pulling hair out.......

Reply to
Drew Peacock
Loading thread data ...

Your post is too vague therefore I'll be very basic with my reply. First, make sure theWRT54g is using its default settings, i.e., no WEP or other encryption, basic SSID, no MAC filtering, DHCP enabled, etc. Afterwards, using the wireless configuration utility that controls the wireless cards, change the SSID to match that of the WRT54g. Make sure that the wireless cards are receiving an IP address that is in line with what you've instructed the WRT54g's DHCP IP range to be. Now make sure that wireless is enabled. You cannot connect wirelessly to your AP if the wireless radio is disabled. Make sure that your firewall is not blocking access to the internet. If all is correct, you should be able to connect to the internet with all of your devices. I hope this helps you. Take care.

Just Me, D

Reply to
Doug Jamal

This is interesting

If you have wireless cards in the pc then you dont need to connect the ethernet to the wireless router.

Disconnect those or jsut disable the adapter and go to Start, Connect to, Show all connections, make sure the wireless card says enabled, if its not you can right click it and select enable.

Reply to
Airhead

You should really get the stuck period key fixed on your keyboard. At your rate of consumption, we will surely experience a global period shortage and all the sentences will run together

In theory, the stock WRT54g, with no firmware hacks and using the default settings, should allow your unspecified model Belkin cards to connect to the internal web server at 192 168 1 1 That's where you start Just the WRT54G and the laptops The usual goofs are to either have the wireless connection disabled in XP or that there is a tiny, hidden, secret, marginally documented, almost invisible, slide switch (Toshiba) or unlabeled, cryptically symbolic push button (HP), that enables and disables the wireless card in the laptop If you're not sure if the cards work, go to a coffee shop hot spot and see if one of the laptops can work there

Also, you should do your internet testing using a *WIRED* connection, and not via wireless Get the WRT54G talking to the internet with a direct ethernet LAN connection first then work on the wireless part of the puzzle

Patience If you wait long enough, your hair will fall out all by itself, like mine

I'm sure glad you decided to consume periods instead of spaces or AllTheWordsWouldRunTogether

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.