Netgear wireless hub frequently stops working / disappears

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum, and I apologise in advance for asking yet another 'wireless router not working' question, but I've tried searching for this specific problem, and can't find it being asked, although I doubt it's uncommon.

Basically the problem is that on a pretty random, but frequent, basis, my netgear wireless hub seems to disappear off the face of the wireless landscape, and of course the connection and signal on any machines connected is lost. When you search again for a wireless access point it is nowhere to be seen, although other people's hubs are visible.

The problem at the moment is solved by unplugging the wireless hub then plugging it back in again. After a few seconds the wireless point becomes visible again, and it's straight forward to connect, and internet etc.. all works fine. But it's becoming a real chore to keep resetting the machine - as it's happening everyday now, and sometimes more than once/day.

My set up : U.K. BT phone line with Virgin Broadband Internet. Splitter to ADSL Modem, which is bridged by means of ethernet cable to a Netgear Wireless Hub*. Around 8 people max can connect using WPA TKIP and a preshared key. When the wireless goes down all the lights still look normal on the wireless hub (i for internet and flashing 'g' and 'a'). Once, the wireless point was invisible to one person, but still connected on my computer.

I don't have a clue what is going wrong - so any suggestions for further investigation or ideas would be very helpful! Is it just a dodgy wireless hub?

Many thanks, Duncan.

*Netgear double 108 mbps wireless router WGU624
Reply to
duncan.mostest
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.