Netgear wireless access point

Have already got a netgear wireless cable router, however, need to extend my network to downstairs with a wireless access point, which I can plug into my soon to arrive Slingbox. Anybody provide an indication of where to by 'just a' wireless access point - don't need another router type thing, as that seems a bit over kill. Assume it will be best getting another netgear jobby.

Live in the UK.

Reply to
Bohica
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:28:46 GMT, "Bohica" wrote in :

Wireless access points abound, including Netgear, and wireless routers can easily be used as wireless access points, so I guess I don't understand your question.

Reply to
John Navas

True, but I always thought it is best to get kit of the same brand to avoid any potential issues over incompatibility.

And an access point can be just an access point without also being a router. All I want is a wireless access point that can easily connect (wirelessly) to my existing router.

I don't want to expense any more than necessary hence why I don't want/need another router.

No shit.

Reply to
Bohica

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:18:37 GMT, "Bohica" wrote in :

True in the case of WDS (repeater) mode, but not in the case of a non-WDS wireless access point.

Yes. Likewise a properly configured router.

Ah ... a detail you've been withholding. If you want accurate help, then you need to provide accurate information. Otherwise it's just a guessing game that wastes both of our time.

That said, the problem is that wireless access points can't connect to wireless routers except in WDS mode. Is that what you want? Have you worked out the signal issues? Or do you want a wireless client (Ethernet) bridge, which can connect to a wireless router?

Routers are generally less expensive than access points, which is why it can make sense to use them that way. But it's still not clear what you need/want.

Indeed, because your question was incomprehensible. It still is. Please tell us which Slingbox you have, what you're trying to do with it, and exactly how you want to connect it; i.e., lots more detail.

Reply to
John Navas

The downstairs "thing" would not be a wireless access point. It would be a wireless bridge, or "game adapter", where the slingbox would plug into the game adapter via a short ethernet cable, and it would be a wireless client to connect to the access point upstairs.

There are also powerline devices with one to plug in to your router upstairs and a power outlet, and another downstairs at the slingbox.

One powerline device is sold by Sling.

formatting link
Setting up your Slingbox when your home router is [ wireless ]
formatting link
Recommended Routers and Bridges
formatting link

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.