Netgear WGR614 wireless router and XP - connection exists but no data transfer

Hi,

I'm having a problem with a computer connecting to my wireless router. The router is Netgear WGR614. The computer has Windows XP. So I enable the access point, assign a unique SSID, enable 128bit WEP, and enter the key that I automatically generated via the computer I'm trying to connect.

Sure enough, Windows XP sees the network and connects to it. The link status is "Connected". However I only see outgoing data transfer on the link. It can't receive anything.

I can't ping the router and even the router "Connected device table" doesn't list the computer on the network. Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this?

Thanks! L

Reply to
L. Li
Loading thread data ...

Yeah I was thinking I'll try that when I get home tonight. I've configured a static IP address within the defined range I've set on the router. So I'm not able to tell, I don't think.

Reply to
lunyee

It is within the defined range. I've set up static IP addressing on the network so I've made sure that everything fits. I have two other computers (wired connections) on the network within the same address space and they're working just fine.

I've disabled all firewalls on the system. So the pings aren't filtered. Regardless, no data is actually coming back. DNS lookups fail, etc. The fact that the router can't see the computer is what disturbs me, when WinXP says it should.

Reply to
lunyee

router.

enable

Leave WEP disabled till you get it working.. Are you getting a good IP address?

Reply to
Airhead

Client card is Linksys WMP54G. Using WGR614v1. Running the 1126 firmware (latest non-beta release).

I do have the beta 1400 firmware ready to install if I want to try it. It only adds WPA support to the router according to the release notes so I think I'll only go that route as a last ditch effort.

Windows got a bit wonky on me at first. Initially what I did was configured the WAP on the router with some SSID and had the router auto-generate a key based on the passphrase that I entered. Then I went to the client computer and created a profile for that SSID using the same authentication (Shared key) and typed in the passphrase I wanted. This did *not* work. It would try to connect for 2-3mins then just stop trying to connect without any error message.

So I wound up using the Windows wizard (eep) and had it generate a key for me. I set that up on the router and the computer supposedly connects now, but just with no data transfer.

There was another thread out there talking about the same problem (minus his TCP/IP problem). But it didn't have any replies and was too old for me to reply to:

formatting link

Reply to
lunyee

Nope. It does both 64 bit and 128 bit. But before it would not allow more than 64 characters in the passphrase used to generate the key. I haven't tried 64 yet though. But I'll try that out after I disable WEP and give that a go. The thing was released as beta and I believe all development has just stopped on it, given the 5 different versions of the router available today. I'm pretty sure it's safe, but there's no real point in upgrading if there isn't anything I absolutely need. WPA I don't need and a passphrase greater than 64 characters is unnecessary as well.

Google's saved me so many times. Takes a bit to search but I can't imagine it trying to do it on yahoo or MSN. I'd shoot myself. But yeah there are often times a lot of empty threads. This actually happens to be only the second time I've only been able to find a single thread relating to the problem with 0 replies. :)

Reply to
lunyee

I haven't tried it yet without encryption. I haven't made it home yet to do so. When I get home later tonight I'll give it a shot.

Actually I never got it to work under shared authentication. In my previous post that was the case that *didn't* work. That's when I had Windows generate the key for me instead, it wanted it under open authentication so that's what it is currently under. And under that, it reports this whole "Connected" status without any incoming data transfer.

Reply to
lunyee

release).

Have you tried it with no encrytion? Or try it with WEP with open authentication. Open is preferred over shared as shared exposes the authentication/encrytion key.

Reply to
Airhead

go to the status tab on your connection properties and check if the IP

is within the range defined in the router.

Also, check if you have any firewall filtering the ICMP packets that

could be filtering the ping commands

Reply to
gonsas

What client card are you using? Which of the WGR614 router models are you using?

I have a WGR614v4 Firmware Version 5.0_02.

I have a Netgear WG511 in a WinXP-SP2 laptop. It didn't work initially, although I forget now what the symptom was. I had to upgrade the firmware to get it to work on WinXP. Driver 2.1.25.0 Firmware 2.04.12.00 Driver Date September 06, 2004

When I first configured WEP, I had to delete the Windows profile that had the SSID of the non-WEP router, or change the SSID so Windows would configure correctly and pop up a WEP key page.

I have run no encryption, WEP-64, WEP-128, and WPA on this router-laptop combination.

Reply to
dold

1400 "Fixed Pass phrase length of more than 64 characters was accepted without error issue. "

Does that mean it only did 64 bit WEP before? Have you tried 64?

1400 was published April 26, 2004. If it were buggy, I think it would have disappeared. You could try email to snipped-for-privacy@netgear.com to ask.

I hate that about Google... ;-)

1: good search, solves the problem. 2: hundreds of replies, all saying something different fixes the problem. 3: hundreds of people with the same problem and no solutions.
Reply to
dold

Ok so I have the connection working now. It turns out I was inputting the wrong WEP key. It worked when WEP was disabled and then I rechecked my key several times and got it right. So that's all peachy.

However! I have this weird problem that I haven't been able to find a resolution for on Google Groups. The wireless connection only stays up for 20-30mins at a time. Sometimes even less. It's really weird. After

20-30 mins, WinXP can't even detect the network anymore. Only if I re-apply the wireless settings to "restart the router" can I get it to see it again. It's as though the router stops broadcasting itself after a certain point. Does anyone have any tips for that? ps. the signal strength is "Very Good" prior to disconnect.
Reply to
lunyee

I keep WEP keys in a text file, and copy-paste them as Hex. I don't have two devices that produce the same hex from an ASCII string, and it bugs me to manually transcribe them. I have a USB-flash drive that I use to make the file available on a new computer.

Reply to
dold

- My modem is about 4' away from the router

- I switched around the channels (using channel 1 now)

- 2.4GHz phone is in an entirely separate room

- I tried the B vs. G thing

It still drops after 20-30mins. :/ Not sure what's going on here, but I'm starting to get tempted to purchase a different router altogether.

Reply to
lunyee

Finally fixed!

It seems that setting the router to use 'B only' and disabling the packet burst mode has left the connection up for over 10 hours now. Looks good so far. :)

Reply to
lunyee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.