Netgear router help please !

I have a Netgear wireless router that simply won't connect to the internet. It was working fine but one day it just stopped. When I connect my PC to the internet directly, I have no problems so it must be the router. I don't know much about this stuff and I'm hoping someone out there can tell me how to troubleshoot this thing and get it back online. I have kids here who use their laptops a lot for school and stuff and the last few days have been miserable. Netgear wants to charge me $89 to help me troubleshoot "their" product ! I'm running Windows XP. Thanks for your advice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
beez
Loading thread data ...

In article , beez.33u1wb@no- mx.wirelessforums.org says... | |I have a Netgear wireless router that simply won't connect to the |internet.

Some of the older Netgear routers use daughter cards for wireless. Sometimes the connection gets flakey. Sometimes you can take apart the router and reseat the wireless card and it will start working again.

Reply to
Steven Stone

Any clue which Netgear router?

I had my Netgear almost die once, which was my fault, messing with settings and cabling, I think. Just some flashing lights, no connectivity. I thought I should spend $49 for a new one, when Jeff Liebermann suggested a "factory reset", which cured it. That was about 6 months ago. Some Netgear routers have a tiny, almost hidden, reset button on the back, noted by a label on the bottom. You might have to reenter some customized information like DSL logon, or passwords and WEP/WPA keys.

A new one is $49 at Best Buy.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.