netgear router help

Hope someone can help i have a Netgear MR814v2tw router and have just bought a TP-LINK TL-WN510G card I am on VM broadband. When i install the card and scan I can see the signal strength is good but I cannot connect when i used a cabled connection it works fine hope someone has an answer. I also cannot access the router using IP it is an old telewest one and think they blocked access. when i have zero config on XP it asks for a netwrok id any ideas

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
kevin_molyneux
Loading thread data ...

kevin_molyneux hath wroth:

First, plug your XP machine direction into the Netgear MR814v2 router with a CAT5 cable. No wireless. Can you browse the internet? Does it work? Don't go furthur until it works with a wired connection.

If yes, then go to: http://192.168.0.1 or:

formatting link
go to the wireless configuration page. My guess is that the encryption is currently set to WEP. Bad idea.

Set the encryption for WPA-Personal (or WPA-PSK). Assign a long and ugly pass phrase that can't be easily guessed. Write it down. Save the settings.

Now, disconnect the CAT5 ethernet cable, and fire up the wireless. Scan for available networks. When you find your wireless router, it will ask for the long and ugly pass phrase. Type it in, twice. Try browsing the internet. It should work.

There's a chance that you may have saved garbage in Windoze Wireless Zero Config in your previous attempts to connect. If so, go to the properties for the wireless connections and find the list of previously connected SSID's. Delete your routers SSID entry and reconnect from scratch. If this is too much work, just dive back into your wireless configuration and change the SSID name on the router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.