Netgear Rebate scam - seeking information

The Real Bev wrote

Yep, in spades with gambling taxes. The stupids are welcome to keep my taxes lower than they would otherwise be.

Reply to
Rod Speed
Loading thread data ...

Because he made an assertion, and was asked to back it up. Perhaps you didn't know this (lots of USENET "debaters" don't), but the burden of proof lies with the guy who makes the claim.

Actually, this is just about the cheapest form of entertainment known to man. Notice I said "just about." ;)

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

Hard to believe, but whatever - bully for you!

With your luck, you'd get a bigger payoff buying lottery tickets or going to Vegas, though.

The writing between the lines, of course, is that anyone who does not receive their rebate must just be an idiot who did something wrong while jumping through the hoops. Your slander completely ignores the innumerable posts to this group and elsewhere from people who dotted ALL the i's, crossed ALL the t's, did absolutely NOTHING wrong, and still got rejected.

Whatever you say, Mr. Ponzi.

Not to mention other consumers.

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

As I said, the dumb/lazy ones who just don't bother to try and claim their rebates are fair game - feel free to take as much of their money as you can. They had the option to claim their share of the booty and they chose not to bother. If that was the only source of rebatable funds, that would actually be OK.

Except that some rebates are designed to maximize user error. Kinda like the advertisements from car dealers that you see in the newspaper: in LARGE PRINT, it says "EVERY COROLLA $9,995!" but in the small print it says "model #1709529" - so what the ad really means is "Every Corolla with this stock number - and there's only one of them on the lot - is $9,995. Oh, and it'll be sold by the time you get here."

But hey, Caveat Emptor, right?

No. Some folks did everything right and still got rejected. They post here bragging about how clever they were to have made Xerox copies of everything so they could prove that they really did do everything right and that the rebate processors make a "mistake."

You can't lose if you refuse to play the game.

BTW, I don't play Three Card Monty with street hustlers, either.

Actually, I suppose you could call yourself an "investor" of sorts. You pay an excessive amount (the "investment") at the cash register, but after a few weeks you get your original investment back, plus a little bit of the money chipped in by other investors. So yeah, you do get a "return" on your "investment" - kinda like how some of Charles Ponzi's investors got a return on their investments. And, like any investment, there is some risk involved. Especially if you didn't make Xerox copies of all your stock certificates. ;)

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

You've been making assertions that rebates are scams. Time for

*you8 to back your assertions. Where is *your* legal proof? How about *you* providing some legal evidence that the Netgear rebate is a scam. How about *you* providing some evidence of any nationally known company that has been convicted or found guilty of knowingly scamming on rebates. Your lack of rebate success is your individual issue. We'll be waiting on "catfish Aztlán" to start supplying some proof. Time to put up or shut up.

It is evident by your numerous post that you have plenty of time on your hands to fill out rebates, so your real rebate issue is probably not being able to fill them out correctly or get them sent in on time. Those that can, do. Those that can't cry scam.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Scott en Aztlán wrote

Not when its as mundane a claim as the one he made.

He gets to tell you to go shove your head up a dead bear's arse instead.

Face down in the mud, as always.

Pathetic, really.

Reply to
Andrew

I suppose if the shoe fits...

Reply to
bwesley8

HTML top posters! Hangin's too good fer 'em.

Reply to
The Real Bev

It doesn't even come close.

formatting link
?hl=en&
formatting link

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

Those are really lame! One from Sep 11 2003, one from Jul 9

1998, and one from Feb 20 2004, (which is just a stupid rant with no actual details similar to yours). Come on, can't you do better than that? ;-)
Reply to
Si Ballenger

They won't honor the rebate, but they will issue you a store credit or a refund.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I also wrote to the email address listed on their rebate page and have had no response and my rebate status has not changed. So I will now write a few lines of text hoping that google indexes this text and helps folks down the line that google for info on Hawking rebates. Hawking rebate scam. Rebate Hawking beware. You may not live long enough to get your rebate. CompUSA Hawking rebate.

Reply to
DanR

This address might work:

"Dario DellaMaggiore"

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Did you buy the router from CompUSA? If so, you are going after the wrong organization. If you bought the product from CompUSA under the terms of an advertised rebate then IMHO CompUSA is ultimately responsible to meet the terms of their advertisement. The FTC has already ruled on this in the case of CompUSA's sales of CompUSA and QPS products, providing some guidance that makes it clear that CompUSA will be held responsible if a manufacturer fails to honor rebates which they (CompUSA) have advertised. I bet that CompUSA will honor your rebate rather than be dragged into court again on this subject.

formatting link
"Further, the order addresses CompUSA?s role as a retailer in advertising manufacturers? rebates ? that is, those to be funded by the manufacturers. Under the terms of the order, CompUSA is prohibited from advertising the availability of a manufacturer?s rebate unless: 1) it has an established record with the manufacturer demonstrating that the manufacturer has consistently paid rebates in a timely manner; or 2) if it does not have such an established record with the manufacturer, CompUSA has conducted a reasonable financial analysis of the manufacturer that demonstrates the manufacturer?s ability to pay the offered."

Reply to
Travis Jordan

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1135414989.795394.107530 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It's a shame that they jerk people around on these rebates. They assume that most people's time is too valuable to waste on being on the phone and submitting paperwork to get their rebate actually paid. So these co's save a lot of money by simply not sending the rebate check to the buyer. Out of products with a rebate attached, probably 20% of the buyers don't even get around to sending in the rebate paperwork. Of those who do send it in, maybe half of those actually follow up to make sure they get the rebate. It all adds up to more money in the corporate coffers. A lot of people's buying decisions are swayed by a product having a rebate on it, whereas, they probably could have bought a better product for the same price, if you take the rebate aspect of it out.

Reply to
JD

I just now checked the rebate website and no change. Still processing. So I will take your advice and take this up with CompUSA. The rebate was advertised by CompUSA and the Hawking rebate site even states that it is a CompUSA rebate .

Reply to
DanR

If the stated time for fulfillment of the rebate has expired (see your submitted rebate certificate from 9/05) then I would expect CompUSA to be quite helpful in assuring that you get your rebate. Make sure you mention that you are familiar with the terms of their settlement with the government and that if you don't get your rebate that you will complain to (among others) the FTC.

If the customer service 'droid you talk / email to doesn't know what you are talking about ("the FTC") then ask them to escalate the call. And finally - after you get the matter settled please post back here and let us know the results.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I'm in the same situation with Hawking rebates for purchases at CompUSA. I contacted Hawking a month ago, the guy said he was expediting it. the rebate went into the "approved for payment" state but never got paid. So I complained to CompUSA (and the FTC). The Hawking guy stopped responding once I told him I had used his name and email address in my FTC complaint. CompUSA did respond:

They asked for my transaction info. I did that and they wrote back:

So I guess we get to sit back and wait.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

While you are waiting you might want to file a complaint against CompUSA with your state's Attorney General and the BBB, too. That will create some more paperwork for CompUSA and the attention might help move things along.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Well it's Jan 26 and my 5 rebate checks are still processing. No change. I took your advice and emailed Dario. Writing the Hawking rebate address produced absolutely nothing. Will see what happens.

Reply to
DanR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.