Netgear RangeMax Next (WNR834M) Highly Unstable

I recently tired of my flaky LinkSys WCG200 and bought a new Netgear WNR834M. I was not looking for great improvements in speed/coverage, just a more solid 802.11b/g AP / firewall router.

Anyway, after reading generally pleasant things about Netgear products, I decided to give the WNR834M a whirl. Turns out, it is so flaky, it makes the LinkSys seem like a rock.

I have upgraded the WNR834M to its latest Firmware 1.3.04 (dated Sept

12, 2006). Followed all the instructions. Status shows the box is running the latest version.

A few things I note:

1. The netgear totally reboots every few minutes. Looks like a hard crash. All the port lights light up (even though only one has a wire in it), then the box completely goes through its power full up cycle.

1. Running the Router Ugrade -> Check for new version utility it keeps saying it found a new version but listing the same version I am running

1.3.04 NA as both the current and the new. Just for yuks, I tell to go ahead and upgrade .... but the box always reboots while trying to download/install the new (same?) version.

If I download the img and upgrade from my PC I can make it work.

Anyway, for a router/AP that I bought to improve stability, I am quite disappointed.

I have read there are two different chipsets used in the WNR834M. Maybe I got the bad chipset.

Has anyone else found this product to be so flaky?

Anyone recommend a rock solid b/g AP/firewall product?

thanks dougm

Reply to
DougM.Home
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

You can divert to the MIMO wirless technology this time, I am sure it will out perform all traditional Wi-Fi AP/Routers which you already used.

I have tried ZyXEL X-550 and it was powerfull and stable.

To get more info, check the following link:

formatting link
Panda,
formatting link

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Panda

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.