Netgear MR314 - HP Printer Setup

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help.

I am attempting to connect my HP Laserjet 2840 Printer to my Netgear MR314 router and am not having much luck.

My current setup is ..

Laptop Windows XP Professional which is wireless to the MR314 router for ADSL internet access. I have 'hard wired' the printer by plugging the ethernet connection from the printer into Port 1 of the MR314 router.

I would have thought that when I then tried to print from the laptop, the printer would be found plugged into the router and everthing would work.

Am I trying to be too ambitious? Am I being some basic steps...?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated. thanks jeff.

Reply to
winfield
Loading thread data ...

Yes, the printer has been installed on the laptop.

No, I did not assign a static ip address for the printer. In the Printer Management Software, under IP Address, it has Assign IP Address Automatically selected.

Yes, the software has been installed on the laptop to manage the software.

I am assuming that the printer's IP address is 127.0.0.1 - because when I open the printer's management software in a browser, that is the IP Address in the address field.

When I enter 127.0.0.1 i receive a diaglog box requesting username and password (none of which have been setup for this printer).

I am guessing that I need to change the IP Address in the printer managment software to a static IP Address. If so, then the question is, how do i tell my laptop the address of printer - I have checked the printer that has been installed on the laptop, but no where can I find where I should be changing the IP Address.

thanks

Reply to
winfield

sorry for asking the obvious ... but ...

did you setup the printer on your laptop?

did you give the printer a static ip address or is the printer using dhcp assigned address from the router?

did you install any printer software that came with the printer on your laptop to manage the printer?

do you know the printer's tcp/ip address?

have you pointed your browser to the printer's ip address?

Reply to
riggor99999

the printer's address is NOT 127.0.0.1 .. that is a loopback address for the pc.

when you setup the printer on your pc - what port are you using? how was the port set up?

a port on the pc needs to be setup pointing to the printer. you can assign a static address and use a standard lpd/lpr port to access it, or use the client software to do that.

you need to hit the books / read the manuals

Reply to
riggor99999

Did you install it as a "Local Printer"? If so uninstall and install as a "Network Printer"

127.0.0.1 is the "Local Host" on your Laptop.You should have a 192.168.xx.xxx address if that is the Format of your Routers subnet.

When you set up the network printer(install s/ware) make sure the printer is connected to the network.

From Manual

To configure a network port-connected device configuration (direct mode or peer-to-peer printing) In this configuration, the device is connected directly to the network, and all computers on the network print directly to the device. Note This mode is the recommended network configuration for the device.

1. Connect the device directly to the network by inserting a network cable into the device network port.
  2. At the device, use the control panel to print a Configuration page. See Configuration page.
  3. Insert the device CD-ROM into your computer. If you have already set up your device, click Install Software to start the software installer. If the software installer does not start, navigate to the hpsetup.exe file on the CD-ROM and double-click the file.
  4. Click Install HP Color LaserJet Software.
  5. On the Welcome screen, click Next.
  6. On the Installer updates screen, click Yes to search for installer updates on the Web.
  7. For Windows 2000, on the Installation Options screen, choose the installation option. Hewlett-Packard recommends a typical installation, if your system supports it.
  8. On the License Agreement screen, read the license agreement, indicate that you accept the terms, and then click Next.
  9. For Windows 2000, on the HP Extended Capabilities screen, choose whether you want extended capabilities, and then click Next.
  10. On the Destination Folder screen, choose the destination folder, and then click Next.
  11. On the Ready to Install screen, click Next to begin installation. Note If you want to change your settings, instead of clicking Next, click Back to return to previous screens, and then change the settings.
  12. On the Connection Type screen, select Through the network, and then click Next.
  13. On the Identify Printer screen, identify the device either by searching or by specifying a hardware or IP address, which is listed on the Configuration page you printed earlier. In most cases an IP address is assigned, but you can change it if you want by clicking Specify the printer by Address on the Identify Printer screen. Click Next.
  14. Allow the installation process to complete.
>
Reply to
Frank

Manual

To configure a network port-connected device configuration (direct mode or peer-to-peer printing) In this configuration, the device is connected directly to the network, and all computers on the network print directly to the device. Note This mode is the recommended network configuration for the device.

1. Connect the device directly to the network by inserting a network cable into the device network port.
  2. At the device, use the control panel to print a Configuration page. See Configuration page.
  3. Insert the device CD-ROM into your computer. If you have already set up your device, click Install Software to start the software installer. If the software installer does not start, navigate to the hpsetup.exe file on the CD-ROM and double-click the file.
  4. Click Install HP Color LaserJet Software.
  5. On the Welcome screen, click Next.
  6. On the Installer updates screen, click Yes to search for installer updates on the Web.
  7. For Windows 2000, on the Installation Options screen, choose the installation option. Hewlett-Packard recommends a typical installation, if your system supports it.
  8. On the License Agreement screen, read the license agreement, indicate that you accept the terms, and then click Next.
  9. For Windows 2000, on the HP Extended Capabilities screen, choose whether you want extended capabilities, and then click Next.
  10. On the Destination Folder screen, choose the destination folder, and then click Next.
  11. On the Ready to Install screen, click Next to begin installation. Note If you want to change your settings, instead of clicking Next, click Back to return to previous screens, and then change the settings.
  12. On the Connection Type screen, select Through the network, and then click Next.
  13. On the Identify Printer screen, identify the device either by searching or by specifying a hardware or IP address, which is listed on the Configuration page you printed earlier. In most cases an IP address is assigned, but you can change it if you want by clicking Specify the printer by Address on the Identify Printer screen. Click Next.
  14. Allow the installation process to complete.
Reply to
Rob

If this fails, and it likely won't since HP designed the interface appropriately, check method outlined on this site for installing a local printer printing to a network port.

formatting link
Q

Reply to
Quaoar

Thanks !!

You all helped this amateur get his printer up and running.

Much appreciated !!!

Reply to
winfield

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.