Netgear DG834GT no 108mbps mode

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get my network to run in 108mbps mode.

I have:

Netgear DG834GT 108mbps router

1 PC with Netgear WG111T 108mbps USB adaptor 1 PC with Netgear WG311T 108mbps PCI adaptor

All the above work fine together in b/g modes. But they just won't work in

108mbps mode. They only way I can get them to work is be disabling WEP and even then they commincate with each at super low speeds. Opening a 10KB text files takes 10 seconds.

I have the router set to "108mbps only", it runs on channel 6. Both adaptor have been set to use 108mbps mode only, but I'm having no luck. All 3 components are less than 12 feet apart too!

Settings the router to "auto108mbps" improves speeds, BUT it will only work if I set both adaptor use normal "g" 54mbps, which kinda proves that none of the equipment is running in superG/T mode. Anyone any ideas?

Reply to
mark
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
***JB

mark:

That comes as std. with Netgear, managed to return mine, bought Draytek Vigor which restored hair and peace of mind. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Are you using the Netgear wireless config. utility or Windows Wireless

Zero configuration? If you're using the Netgear Utility, you must

place a checkmark in the box next to 108 AND 54MB in order to achieve

the 108 mb speed. Checking only the box next to 108 will not suffice.

In the router's settings, is there a setting for enabling packet burst?

If so, enable it. I know I'm forgetting some things being that I am

currently mixing brands to attain the 108mb speed. (Netgear WG511T and

D-Link DWL-2100AP).

Reply to
doug Jamal

[I didn't see the original posting on my newsreader so I'm replying to the reply].

It really depends on the distances involved and whether you're picking up any interference. Also the 802.11b compatibility mode will wreck performance.

See:

formatting link
the graph. It's a "walk test" comparing a 54Mbit/sec device with a 108Mbit/sec device. The dip in the middle is about 300ft away. Note that the average performance when close to the access point is considerably better with 108Mbits/sec when very close but drops off quickly with distance. Also note that it slows down when too close to the access point. That's a timing issue.

The 802.11b compatibility mode will wreck performance. The access point has to listen for 802.11b devices periodically. If it finds even one 802.11b packet, it will slow down for a considerable time slice listening for more 802.11b packets.

This is stolen from an Atheros PDF at:

formatting link
ros_range_whitepaper.pdf with some additions and corrections by me.

Non-overlapping Modulation Max Max Max Channels ------- | Link TCP UDP | | | | |

802.11b 3 CCK 11 5.9 7.1 802.11g (with 802.11b) 3 OFDM/CCK 54 14.4 19.5 802.11g only 3 OFDM 54 24.4 30.5 802.11g turbo 1 OFDM 108 42.9 54.8 802.11a 13 OFDM 54 24.4 30.5 802.11a turbo 6 OFDM 108 42.9 54.8

The above is with encryption disabled. Drop the numbers by about 15% for encryption enabled.

If you're hearing interference, the access point will immediately slow down to a slower speed. It doesn't matter what type of interference, if the S/N ratio drops, so will the connection speed. At 108Mbit/sec, it doesn't take much junk to slow things down.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I agree, the DG834GT only works sensibly if you using the setting that allows it to drop to lower speeds if required (108Mb auto).

The problem is that if the monitor program is correct, it always drops to

54Mbit when transferring any amount of data, and I have never seen data transfer rates that show that there is an operational 108Mbit connection, so why did I bother spending extra money on this router?

Another reply suggests using Draytek routers. I agree. My Draytek worked fine until it was killed by lightning. I should have stuck with them.

Another problem with the DG834GT is that if you use the 'idle timeout', then when it reconnects, the internet connection is not properly functional, and this can only be fixed by either resetting the router, power cycling, or resetting the value of the timeout (?). I exchanged messages with their support people, but gave up as they never seem to read previous replies, so you find yourself going round in circles.

I now have an unecessarily expensive 54Mbit wireless router that can only be used in 'alway on' mode.

Reply to
Nigel D

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.