Netgear DG834G - internet connection problems

Have you tried going into power management and disabling standby mode?

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

I'm on Virgin.net broadband and I've just installed this wireless router and am finding that I'm intermittently unable to connect to the internet. The connection speed to the router seems fine, but when I start IE or Opera it's just not sending or receiving any data. This happens often when I've left the computer on standby for a while, come back and try to connect to the internet. Only restarting the computer seems to solve it.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Maxwell Hammer

What's forcing it into standby then? (you had said "This happens often when I've left the computer on standby for a while, come back and try to connect to the internet." Usually that's a system standby or hard disk shutdown when not used for a while... That standby/shutdown/power save will usually do exactly what you said (lose connecticity and usually have to reboot or power off/on the wap/router, the router thinks there is no pc connected when it drops into power save).. Usually some manufacturers (toshiba is one for sure) have a seperate power management utility, fraid I don't recall offhand on a dell (not at work so I can't look it up, but if power management mode is disabled they must do a save/standby thing somewhere, or your system wouldn't go into standby).

Maxwell Hammer wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

Oh.. that's easy then... then don't manually go into standby...

Maxwell Hammer wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks, but "Power Save Mode" is set to "Disabled". Any other ideas?

Bruce

Reply to
Maxwell Hammer

From the Netgear support If a wireless connection drops every three to five minutes with Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), it may be incorrect authentication security settings. To avoid this problem, disable 802.1x authentication.

To disable 802.1x Authentication in Windows XP

1) Click Start, point to Connect To, Click Show all connections, and then double-click your wireless network. 2) On the General tab, click Properties. 3) Click the Wireless Networks tab. 4) Under Preferred Networks, click your home network and then click Properties. 5) Click the Authentication tab, and then clear the Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network check box. (If you cannot click this check box, then you are not using 802.1x authentication or wireless security.)
Reply to
Merlin

I can't have explained myself very well. Sorry...

My system isn't going into standby automatically. I'm manually putting it into standby instead of shutting down the computer. I do this when I know that I will want to be using the computer in, say, 30 mins. I was merely pointing out that when I put it into standby and then bring it back out of standby, I often cannot connect to the internet. The wireless network is detected (icon in the system tray) but when I start IE no data is being sent or received and it cannot connect to the internet.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to networking. I thought that maybe my ISP was re-assigning me an IP address every so often (does that make sense?) and that somehow my router was not updating. I'm groping in the dark here and realise I may be talking nonsense.

Reply to
Maxwell Hammer

Everything is greyed out in the Authentication tab (but the Enable 802.1x authentication box is unchecked). What does that effectively mean? I'm a complete newbie to wireless networks so please excuse my ignorance.

Please note: I have XP SP2 and the wireless connection doesn't appear to be dropping, and certainly not every few mins. What is happening is that, on occasions, the browser will not connect to the internet. The icon in the system tray indicates that the wireless network is detected, but no data is moving to and fro.

Thanks,

Bruce

Reply to
Maxwell Hammer

What firmware does the DG834G have? Earlier versions (particularly 1.03.00 IIRC) had problems "keeping" the connection up to the ISP - or at least, if it dropped for some reason it would not auto reconnect.

If you do have older firmware you could up the DG834G to latest (1.05.00) but make sure you do this connected via a wired connection if possible, not over the wireless.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

"Maxwell Hammer" wrote in news:TSbOd.511$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

Thats the same problem I was having with netgear routers, the signal would drop off after a while, and I'd have to renew the ip address (by running a command prompt and typing "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew"). Remember those 2 commands if they're not in your noggin...much quicker than a reboot.

smowk

Reply to
Smowk

Sorry for bringing this up again, just hoping someone can enlighten me.

My problem seems to be whenever I leave the computer on (or in standby) for a long time and come back to it and try to connect to the internet via my wireless router (Netgear DG834G). It is seeing a network connection but it is not finding the internet.

I think the problem is in trying to acquire a new IP address. I think I am right in thinking that my computer needs to do this each time it connects to Virgin broadband. Anyway, it is only able to do so when I restart the computer, and sometimes only after a couple of restarts.

Is there any logical reason for this? Could there be, for example, a setting on my router which throws it into standby if it's on the same IP address for a long time? Or could it be that Virgin is updating the IP address after a while, but my router/computer is unaware of this happening?

Cheers.

Reply to
Maxwell Hammer

"Maxwell Hammer" wrote in news:SVwOd.7038$Z% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

thats what i've done.

DOWN WITH NETGEAR!!

lol

Reply to
Smowk

Thanks, smowk. However, even that doesn't seem to work on my router! (Well, it did work once when I tried it, but not since.) A restart seems to be the only way to get back on the internet. Even that only works 9 times out of

1. Maybe Netgear routers are just worth avoiding.
Reply to
Maxwell Hammer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.