neighbors sharing connection

I've done a lot of reading and a lot of googling and if there is a FM, then I've RTFM. I still have some questions.

My neighbor (maybe 50 ft away, fences, plaster walls, etc) has Comcast cable modem (we live in Oregon). I have slow DSL. We want to share her Comcast. I need to make a VPN connection to my office. I don't want her on my network. I don't want to be on her network.

Please let me know if there is a better solution, or if I've left out any pertinent info.

www-> cablemodem-> BEFSR41-> WRT54G (to my house, with antenna) -> WRT54G (her house)

(my house) wireless signal-> WAP54G (as repeater, with antenna) -> desktop with pci card -> laptop -> 2nd desktop with pci card

Can the WAP54G be set up to both repeater the wifi signal as well as allow a wired connection? If possible, I would like to spare that second desktop's pci card and wire it to the WAP54G directly.

Is a D-Link DWLM60AT antenna good for the WRT54G pointing to my house? There's no hope for shooting it through a window or any kind of LOS. I'm just going to have to blast through the walls in a straight line. And I suppose I should get an omni antenna for the WAP54G in my house - recommendations?

Thanks much, NAT

Reply to
mcnattyp
Loading thread data ...

When range is an issue, the PreN routers all beat the G routers hands down. Belkin seems to get a lot of raves for its preN.

Reply to
Alan White

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.