Neighbor's Wireless

My internet service will be shut off on Monday. I have a payment arrangement but it won't go back on until I finish paying the bill. (unemployed and totally broke). It's happened before and I was able to use my neighbor's wireless. They have used mine on one of their computers as well. The last time however, I couldn't get online with their wireless router. I can see the network name in my list of available networks but can't connect. Is there anything I can do to connect? I do get some work at home jobs and really need the internet to look for work as well.

Thanks

Reply to
tonita
Loading thread data ...

Since you and your neighbor have been sharing connections in the past why not simply ask them if they mind if you use their network for the time being.

If they say yes then ask them what encryption method and password they have activated and go from there.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

So you have her password, and her permission, but you still can't log on, right? She's changed something. Call her up and ask. If you have a password, and you're using the right encryption system, and she hasn't locked out your MAC address (oh, wait, did I say too much ...)?

Reply to
Edward Thomas Gein

There isn't any difference if you can see her network from your place and the signal strength is sufficient and you have the password. However - as you use the phrase "logged in as a guest" I do have a question.

Most common wifi routers only have a single login - there is no guest account. The ones to do allow guest accounts usually show up as a separate system. So one of two things are going on. Either your host has changed the password and not told you what the new one is or he/she has disabled guest access. Either way you need to talk to your host.

Reply to
Robert Neville

She usually calls me for help if she wants to change or do anything with her computers. Cisco (her wireless) has an option for guest access with a password. I wonder if the provider, in this case Comcast, can stop me from using other routers if they disconnect my service.

I haven't g> t> >I have her password and I've never used her connection without her

Reply to
tonita

On Mar 23, 9:43=A0am, Robert Neville wrote: Oh, and she did change to a Mac.

Reply to
tonita

As everyone has explained that you need to ask your neighbor about accessing the Internet through their router I won't duplicate the response.

It was also pointed out that your local Library is likely to give you access through their computers. You also have other options. McDonalds, Starbucks, and other locations such as the parking lot of most hotel/motel locations also give free Internet access.

So, there are options for you. You just can't be home for access if your neighbor won't allow you access.

(Sorry to hear about your situation.)

Rich

Reply to
Rich Johnson

No. Now that's seriously paranoid.

You also said she changed to a Mac -- are you _abslolutely_ sure she's using the same SSID and password and encryption with her new system?

Reply to
Edward Thomas Gein

No. If your neighbor's connection is working from her house, they can't stop you from using it.

Reply to
Robert Neville

A Mac computer and a MAC address are not the same thing. If she changed her computer, is it possible someone messed with her router config?

Reply to
Robert Neville

I doubt it because I'm usually the one they call when they need some computer assistance. It just seems strange that when I'm cut off from Comcast that I can't access her wireless. Several months ago, I was shut off for about a week and accessed it just fine. Since then, I can't. Yes, I get cut off occasionally because I'm seriously struggling. I usually can make a payment once per month, but being a month behind, I can't keep up this time. Unemployment is a hard life and I am thankful that I still have a roof over my head.

I realize the difference between computer and address but some> t> >Oh, and she did change to a Mac.

Reply to
tonita

Reply to
tonita

It's not quite that simple. At the very least, she must have turned it > I doubt it because I'm usually the one they call when they need some

You know, I'm right on the edge of serious snotty here ...

Reply to
Edward Thomas Gein

Reply to
tonita

Fine, then it's time to bite the bullet and go over to her place with your computer and verify if you can still connect to her network from there. It don't matter if you used to be able to connect from your place or not as another item might now be interferring with the channel her router is using. Verify that by going to her place with your computer. If it connects fine, then you know it is interferrence or just a signal level now too low to use. Possibly a different frequency on her machine would help.

Running the inSSIDer program I mentioned in the past will show you another router on the same channel or one too close to hers.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

I don't know where she bought her Mac. If she got it second-hand, maybe the seller set it up for her; if she bought it new from a store, maybe someone there set it up for her; but if it came brand-new to her door, then it didn't set itself up unless there's only one network to join and it's unsecured. The Mac is a lovely piece of hardware. I've set up a bunch for a bunch of people, though, and I know it's not prescient. Not until 10.7 is released.

Reply to
Warren Oates

My little Acer netbook was just about the same.

Reply to
LouB

What a weak attempt at humour , you should rethink those tactics

Reply to
atec77

Comcast can so anything they want to you. They can lock your refrigerator, steal your beer, tell you when you are allowed to use the toilet, and even how much toilet paper you're allowed to use per shit. And dont be surprised if they send over the Mafia with automatic rifles like oozies and pump you full of holes. Internet providers are some of the most powerful companies on earth. Your life depends on them, and once they pull the plug on you, call the undertaker quickly, then say goodbye!

Reply to
jw

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.