Needed: WPA Patch for WinXP

Hi, I've got a problem with a few clients running WinXP SP2.

When configuring a secure wireless connection with the Windows Zero Configuration, the network authentication options that I can choose from are only Open or Shared (Whereas in WinXP SP2 I should be able to choose WPA too).

I've tried to install the Q815485 patch (WPA support -

formatting link
- no change. I've even tried to install the KB893357 patch (WPA2 support -
formatting link
- no change either.

The NIC's drivers are updated, but I must use WZC and not the vendors utility to configure the WLAN.

Does someone knows how to solve this issue?

Thanks, Oren.

Reply to
Oren
Loading thread data ...

On 7 Apr 2007 22:45:03 -0700, "Oren" wrote in :

Different wireless clients? Those may simply not be able to support WPA. What does their documentation say?

Reply to
John Navas

"Oren" wrote in news:1176011103.814244.182100 @y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Includes the following:

"For wireless clients that are running Windows XP service pack 2 (SP2) and that are using a wireless network adapter that supports the Wireless Zero Configuration service, the Windows WPA Client is included in Windows XP SP2. Therefore, additional downloads are not needed."

...which suggests that the wireless adapter, or its driver, may not be compatible.

Suggest you check for a more recent driver from the wireless adapter mfr.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

You need to download the optional software updates from "Microsoft Windows Updates" which would be the ".Net" and "Framework" downloads....

Reply to
Etop Udoh

You might also consider taking the "Boingo universal wireless client manager software" for a testdrive and usually it will let you know the maximum type of security it is able to use with a wireless network adapter.

Reply to
Etop Udoh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.