need wireless router where wan can be on 192.168.1.x net

The subject kinda says it all. I''m looking for a router (or access point) where the WAN (outside) address can belong to the 192.168.1.0 network. I know Linksys won't do it because they use that network for the wireless.

Thanks Dave Fenske

Reply to
dave
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@dfel.com () wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Are you saying that Linksys routers don't allow you to select the address for your internal network?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

All routers allow you to change the LAN IP scheme. Out of the box, Linksys ship with a 192.168.1.x scheme, but by logging into the router, you can easily change it.

If you want a router that out of the box has a different scheme, i believe Belkin uses 192.168.2.x, and netgear uses 192.168.100.x. I'm pretty sure the new black Dlinks are 192.168.1.x.

Reply to
sbdavey

Dave, It sounds like you are downstreeaming a 2nd router or are trying not to step on one of those dsl modems/routers that has a 192.168.1.1 control page - I just went through this and the user/pass kept disqualifying us trying to get into router control because the Linksys control page and modem control page were same address. you can change the router device IP addres to something other than 1 - usually opposite extrem ...254 and leave the 192.168.1 portion alone, this should alleviate the hangs getting to a control page, I would also limit the router DHCP range to start at say 102 and only issue a dozen or so IP's to further reduce the possibility of duplicating any IP's. If the modem is truly a modem / router (the 192 series is private and your ISP is public series.. normally a 2 digit series like 68) it is translating the public series to a private series and dynamically issuing a single ip to the first computer or router it sees. it is probably issuing the wan side of your router an ip like 192.168.1.2 or

1.100 - I don't think a modem router will issue multiple IP's like a dedicated router - in fact, it may look for a verify a specific mac address that it recorded when you first signed up using only your primary computer connected direct to modem - this is why new routers have ability to clone mac address from a pc on your lan side to the embedded nic in the wan side of your router - this way your ISP still sees the original nic card it registered with your account. Frank

snipped-for-privacy@dfel.com wrote:

Reply to
frank

What is it you're trying to accomplish? Many routers boxes, including those from linksys certainly can use a private network address on their WAN port. But without knowing what you think needs to be done it's pretty much pointless to speculate. Can you give a better explanation of what you've got now, why it doesn't do what's needed and what you want?

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.