Need WEP Passphrase

Hello-

I am on a 2 computer network and I replaced a broken wireless card. Now it is asking me for the WEP passphrase. I am the "2nd computer", not the access point. I do have access to the access point computer. This network was set up by someone and cant get a hold of them to get the passphrase. It says I am conntected to the network and have a strong signal, but cant connect to the internet at all. So I am assuming I need the passphrase. I do have the SSID (?) How can i get it from the other computer, or can I just re-configure the whole thing since I have acces to the the acces point.

Thanks!

Reply to
sabaaka
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for all the replys. Your're correct, I cant see the password, its just all dots. So at that point, I can just enter any passphrase i choose and that is all? Just want to know exactly what I need to do so that i dont make it worse and the access point computers internet connection stops working as well.

Thanks!

Reply to
sabaaka

Probably the easiest option.

Reply to
David Taylor

Providing that you are not someone attempting to gain unauthorized access to someone else's wireless network and because you indicated that you "do have access to the access point", then I would recommend that you reset the access point, enter the APs menu and enter your own WEP key.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net () wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I'm guessing that the manangement interface of your AP and the config utility on your one working PC won't let you see the key in the clear or you wouldn't be asking this question, so resetting would seem to be the only other option.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.