Need WEP key--Not on Zyxel "web configurator"--please help

OK, I need some help. I've been trying to find my WEP key and I still haven't had any luck. So here is my situation: I go to 192.168.1.1 and enter the username and password. It takes me to some page with ZYXEL up in the corner. The WEP key is nowhere to be found on this page. On a windows XP, I also tried doing start>control panel>network and internet settings>wireless network setup wizard. Then I hit next>set up manually>print network settings. That brings up a text document that says "Network Key (WEP/ WPA Key): blah blah blah." I tried using that 26 character key but it wouldn't work. I need the WEP key for a laptop and an Xbox 360. I already have it working on another laptop, a PSP, and a Wii. Sadly, I can't remember how I got them to work. My question is what am I doing wrong/what else can I try/how can I disable a WEP encryption (or whatever it is).

I would greatly appreciate your help and advice!

Thanks

Reply to
corey33p
Loading thread data ...

Are there any links at that address to other pages? Tabs, buttons? Should be.

Have you downloaded and read the manual for your Zyxel? I think there may be a clue in the manual.

=A0>On a windows XP, I also tried doing

If you don't really know what your key is, reset the router (manual will tell you how) and then go into the interface and put a new key in. Write the key in pencil on the bottom of your router.

Don't disable security, learn how to use it. If you have WPA, use that instead of WEP.

There is an issue with some adapters and how the WEP key is entered, whether in HEX or alphanumeric. Somebody else will know more about this problem. You may have an adapter that won't take alphanumeric right. Again, go to WPA if at all possible.

Reply to
seaweedsl

Yes, there are a few links, but I've checked them all. There aren't that many. We used to have another (host?) that was much more convenient to use, but now they stuck us with Zyxel--which is pretty much a pain in the keister. Downloading a manual may be a very good idea, I never thought about that, thanks. I have thought about resetting the router, but I do remember having issues getting it to work the first time, so I'm a little wary about that. I may end up trying anyways. I was only curious about disabling the security because I live in Kansas. There is only a couple of houses for a quarter mile radius. I figured I'd notice if people started loitering in my driveway with laptops. ;-)

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep trying. Is it just me, or should this be a whole lot easier? lol

Reply to
corey33p

Hey, I figured it out. Instead of going to 192.168.1.1, I should have went to 192.168.2.1. Then it brings me to the right page. I had to chat with a linksys assistant to figure that out.

Thanks for your help, though, seaweedsl.

Reply to
corey33p

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.