Need to alter IP address

Hi guys, I'm tracking satellites using this page;

formatting link
automatically locates me by IP address but it's off by 300 miles. I don't see a way to adjust the Lat/Long or put in a different IP address. Anyway I can fool it? Thanks Mike

PS. My first try was on Nov 26 at 5:40 pm. I took my son out to see the ISS, we got a double!! The ISS and the Space Shuttle were on the same track about a hand width apart at arms length. yeeha!

Reply to
amdx
Loading thread data ...

"amdx" wrote in news:38d18$4b1151db$18ec6dd7$ snipped-for-privacy@KNOLOGY.NET:

I'm guessing it justs says you are wherver the company that owns the IP address has registered it from.

So, no, I can't think of any way to spoof it.

Reply to
DanS

Thanks, I sent an email to n2yo suggesting he make it possible to put in your own position.

Reply to
amdx

I found the button, righthand side below "your current location" click "change your location" Probably there all the time just missed it. Mike

Reply to
amdx

yup, easy, can probably be done free, but but this prog does it easily and costs $20.... from

formatting link
SMAC is a powerful, yet easy to use MAC Address Changer (Spoofer) for Windows 2000, XP, and 2003 systems, regardless of whether the manufacturers allow this option or not.

Features: Change MAC Address in 3 clicks, validate MAC Address, generate Random Address, view MAC Address, view complete network adapter information,

1-click network adapter restart, filter active and inactive adapters, load MAC Address List*, show MAC change history.
Reply to
Peter Pan

"Peter Pan" wrote in news:LO-dnU9dc9k_FIfWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That's a MAC address thing, and not related in anyway to an IP address a web page is detecting in this particlular instance.

Reply to
DanS

in the description (gave the link) says..... "and changing MAC and IP address as well."

how can it not be related to changing an ip address when it specifically says changing the "ip address as well"?.....

course even if you change/spoof the ip address, still won't give your actual lat/long location, so won't solve the original problem/q, i'd look into changing your location instead

Reply to
Peter Pan

"Peter Pan" wrote in news:C-ydnX9f0ouSX4fWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

The third utility on the page says that. I didn't scroll down that far. None of those say anything about 'spoofing' an IP address.

Because the description reads like it's just another tool to change you PCs IP address. The same as going to control panel -> Network, etc.

If you were to somehow spoof an IP address from your PC, how would the web page info get back to you anyway ?

Reply to
DanS

If your aiming that at me, I think it shows I don't know enough about it to even ask a proper question! Mike

Reply to
amdx

And a google search for change mac address registry will show you how to change it for free. :)

Reply to
Evan Platt

"amdx" wrote in news:da765$4b1c5494$18ec6dd7$ snipped-for-privacy@KNOLOGY.NET:

I was not :)

Reply to
DanS

yeah - don't believe TV and CSI or NCIS -

the IP address is handed out by your Internet Service Provider, and the "location" is merely a guess at where their "rack" is located by using some listings of Internet addresses... This is even worse for dialup - as the "location" could be anywhere the hosted modem is physically located.

ie - my "location" is where my DSL carrier service is created -

Reply to
ps56k

hmmm - I don't see any "button" on this page -

formatting link

Reply to
ps56k

What ? You mean you *can't* take an image from 100 feet that is 20 pixels x

20 pixels and enhance it to a high quality image to ID someone or read a license plate ?

That always kills me !!!!

Reply to
DanS

<
formatting link
>

bottom right, shows the IP address and location, with "Set your custom location" below it. Then you can select which satellite you want to track.

As noted by some other folks, the IP address is a decent guess, and I'm not sure how much difference a location that's off by 20 miles would make for this purpose, since you are only going to be looking at an area of sky, where a difference of 10 degrees is probably insignificant.

For my Blackberry, connected through my Wifi, the Blackberry picks up a "RIM" address in Canada, so that's off a bit ;-) My home IP address is off by 90 miles, but it's almost due south, so the effect is that the max altitude azimuth is off by 4 degrees, which I wouldn't notice. The elevation is too high by 10 degrees, but I would see it. The Timezone, oddly, is off by two hours. That would be a problem. I was wondering how I was going to see a satellite in the day time.

You might visit ip2location, the site that n2yo uses to locate you, and see if it is within 20-30 miles.

Reply to
dold

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, DanS chose the tried and tested strategy of:

I dread to think how many times somebody technical in law enforcement has had to explain to their superiors why it can't be done.

Reply to
alexd

Are you suggesting promoting some people IS an indicator of them being smart as a rock ?

Reply to
atec 7 7

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.