Need recommendation on good wired router...

Hi

After over six years of constant operation, my main router (D-Link DI-764) has finally bit it. The 802.11a radio stopped working a few months ago, but wasn't a big deal since I had already been using an 802.11a/gb WAP connected to it. Now the router portion has finally bit it too.

I just want to get a wired router since I already have a WAP to connect it with. My requirements are, of course, at least four local LAN ports to be used with an XBox360, PS3, and a media gadget. I'll need to be able to use "static" DHCP for 21 devices, port forwarding, firewall, etc. Also, since it is situated next to my HDTV, I'm thinking about just going ahead and getting Gigabit as I may want to pipe HD to the TV down the road.

Just want something that is simple to use, allows settings to be backed up, and of course reliable..

Thanks!

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

I think zyxel are quite reliable, and have a reasonable interface for settings, and they can be backed up. I cannot check how well it supports what you mention though..

By the way.. out of interest, what is the make/model of this gadget that gives your wired router a wireless capability. (I am rather new to wireless)

Reply to
jameshanley39

On 20 Mar, 00:29, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk"

doh, must be a wireless switch/"access point". I guess a typical(typical as in built in switch) wireless "NAT router" is like a typical wired one, but with a wireless switch in it instead of a wired one.

Reply to
jameshanley39

Hi,

The "media gadget" that I mentioned is a Hauppage MVP player. The four devices connected were: Wireless AP, XB360, PS3, and the Hauppage MVP player. As per your other post, yeah wireless routers are basically "wired routers with built-in wireless access points".

I just ordered a D-Link EBR-231 off Newegg. Its only $35 ($25 after mail in BS) and should work fine.

Took my old DI-764 apart yesterday and saw that it is likely fixable. One of the caps had burst. Whether the cap bursting took any of the IC's down with it, I don't know, but will solder on a new cap to give it a try anyway. Looks like I have to order some of them online too. I stopped at a local Radio Shack yesterday and they no longer sold components at our local store! In fact, the sales clerk didn't even know what the hell a capacitor was. She kept asking me if it was some sort of interconnect. Unbelievable!

Radio Shack: "You have questions, we have batteries."

Reply to
Eric

similar problem with maplin.. My local branch used to have a few technical people.. and it was open till around 7pm. Then they were fewer and fewer, and the opening hours shortened. Recently I called them, and I hear the sales clerk in the background going "yeah man, it`s like, Wicked man".. I went in there, and as soon as I go in, I hear some kind of rap music.. I ask a question, they tell me to ask the manager, he said it was too technical..(though in fairness to him, that question was).. Oh well, the phone line technical support is still good, but is 50p/min..

I guess they don`t pay the staff these days!!!! In britain, in most or all schools, there is no GCSE or A level electronics. It`s a miracle that anybody knows anything about it.

Reply to
jameshanley39

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.