Need help with WRE54G

Small network. Linksys WRT54G v3 wireless router with 4.20.7 firmware (latest?) Linksys WRE54G range expander with 1.06 firmware (that's from memory, but I know it's the latest on the Linksys website)

I cannot make the WRE54G work, and I've tried many things, including manual setups and using the wizard. I will be glad to list all my troubleshooting measures if necessary, as I definately want to make it work and I appreciate any help, but for now I simply want to ask if there are known issues with this device and if there happens to be a known fix.

Thank you,

jm

Reply to
JM
Loading thread data ...

Sorry, I did leave out some critical info: What I mean by "I cannot make [it] work" is that I cannot get on the internet when I'm connected to it. After considerable tweaking I am able to see the device in my wireless network utility, and I am able to connect to it, but I cannot get on the internet. I can switch back to the WRT54G and connect to the internet instantly. I've made sure the WRT and WRE are on the same network (same address scheme). I've used factory default settings and manual settings, wizard setup and manual setup, power down, power up, auto configure, manual configure, no configure, different firware versions, different laptops, etc.

The result is always the same: Both the WRT and WRE show up as wireless devices. I can attach to either (although the WRE will disappear at times, requiring a reset), but I can only hit internet throught the WRT, never through the WRE.

jm

troubleshooting

Reply to
JM

Return the WRE54G. I went thru the same issues as many others have. Get another WRT54G

Reply to
SD

The Wizard just doesn't work, as the Linksys help desk has confirmed to me a few times. And you are not alone in having problems setting up the WRE! But once it is set up, it works fine.

You will find this thread on linksysinfo.org useful:

formatting link
I assume from the firmware version that you have the Version 1 WRE, with no Ethernet jack. That means you have to temporarily set up a STATIC IP address on your laptop, say 192.168.1.239, to be able to connect to the WRE's Web Server management interface on 192.168.1.240.

WEP/WPA should be DISABLED temporarily on your WRT, and DHCP enabled.

Once connected to the WRE's management interface, you can set its parameters - channel, SSID - to the same as the WRT. Set the WRT as the gateway.

Hope that helps!

- Jeff

Reply to
jschall

Thank you for your help. With your input and the things I read on that thread, I was able to get the thing going.

The fact is that I may have had success as far back as a few days ago, but I didn't know it. The only reason I'm going to admit my error is in the hopes that it might help some other bafoon that didn't read the manual carefully or otherwise do his homework thoroughly enough to know when he has it right ; ).

I was under the impression that the WRE could/should exist on the network with its own SSID, such as an access point or additional router serving as access point. Therefore, I thought the idea was to *see* and *connect directly to the WRE*, rather than the router/AP the WRE is extending. Only after spending 4-5 hours pouring over the available help on the internet did I begin to realize that the WRE itself should "disappear" from my list of available networks when properly configured. You can imagine how frustrated and perplexed I was before I figured this out. I would do everything correctly, only to have the WRE go away. I thought that was a BAD thing. Turns out, it's the only way to make it work.

Funny how this stuff can trip you up.

On that note, however, it's obvious that Linksys has either designed a magnificently UN-intuitive product or they have just done an awful job explaining and - evidently - understanding it themselves. This thing has caused waaay too much confusion in this age of plug-n-play.

Thanks again.

jm

formatting link

Reply to
JM

Don't clap your hands yet. Mine worked initially and then just started malfunctioning when I enable WEP.

SD

formatting link
> I assume from the firmware version that you have the Version 1 WRE,

Reply to
SD

I definately haven't breathed my sigh of relief yet. Nothing would surprise me with this product. From the extensive documented problems making this thing work, it's obvious that it's a loser.

jm

formatting link
>> I assume from the firmware version that you have the Version 1 WRE,

Reply to
JM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.