Need help with Netgear WGPS606 printer server

Hello all,

After thinking I was a pretty good tech, I just found out how stupid I am after wrestling with this for 5 hours.

Gear: Toshiba laptop (XP), DLink DI-524 Wireless router, HP 1350 USB printer. Everything works good to start with; I'm online (Cable modem) and I print fine. I'm adding a Netgear WGPS606 wireless printer server and all I want to do is have wireless printing. Nothing more.

I've carefully followed (at least I think I have) the Netgear manual and help pages from the net. But I'm stumped by the whole IP address-Reserved router address thing.

Netgear's setup wizard got so far but says it can't find the printer server.

Anyone done this before? Huge thanks, Bill

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
bvdd
Loading thread data ...

I have the identical print server. Been a while since I set it up, but I think you do the original setup to set a fixed IP address on the print server for the printer, then tell the router to reserve that address (so no other device grabs it and messes things up). John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

At which step in these set up instructions did it fail?

formatting link

Reply to
LR

The grammatical error in the second paragraph doesn't endear me to the product. They should have someone proofread the document.

I was thinking of getting one of these to tie two or three PCs to a wireless network, and also pick up the bonus of making the printer shareable. But their chart doesn't give me warm feelings about the printer.

The new WGPS606 print server, however, supports other printers. Multifunction printers such as combination printer/copier/fax only support the printing function. (This is true of all non-NETGEAR products, too.)

The parenthetical expression seems to be a false assertion, as some print servers do declare that they support bi-directional functionality. None of them have four ethernet ports, though.

Reply to
dold

I think this is why we are starting to see more printers with a built in WiFi capability. My ISP recently offered me a WiFi enabled printer and a reduction in my monthly bill if I would extend my Broadband contract with them. I accepted and the printer arrived yesterday and I was in play mode with it last night. The printer turned out to be a Lexmark Z1420, printer only not multifunction, which seems to have had quite a few poor reviews but since it was "free" I was not going to complain. The set up on all my windows computers was a doddle, I had more difficulty making sure that I had removed all the sticky tape from the printer, and had no problems with it recognising my network and accepting the WPA key. I find that I can print from anywhere in the house and for my requirements the print quality is more than acceptable. I have now got to try and get it to work with Linux.

Reply to
LR

Setup and installation went just as successsfull as written down below and in less than half an houre I could start printing from both my computers.(One Vista, the other XP) However, after some time of inactivity the Z1420 goes into 'deep slumber' , with the round, green light on top slowly fading up and down. When I try to restart printing, the printer can not be found anymore in the network in spite of the fact that the green network light on the frontside comes back to steady ON. Only after pulling the electricityplug for a second or five, the printer comes 'back on the network' and everything looks okay again. No further clues. Anybody else ?

ter, and had noproblemswith it recognising mynetworkand

niet weergeven -

ericht niet weergeven -

Reply to
jp6400
  1. Check for a possible firmware update.
  2. Trade it in for a different device.

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 06:02:24 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

theprinter, and had noproblemswith it recognising mynetworkand

niet weergeven -

bericht niet weergeven -

Reply to
John Navas

Check your power settings... Mine had probs, and when I went to an ac charger instead of batt, changed it to always on so the system wouldn't hibernate or the hard disks power down

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.