Need Help with Home Network Problem

Hello all,

Ive been having problems with my 2 computer home network. The "main" computer, or the one that the DSL is plugged into is connecting to the internet fine. But when I try to, it wont connect at all. It says there is a local area network cable unplugged and then says this "3com

3c920 integrated fast ethernet controller (3c905c-tx compatible), but eveything is plugged in. So I got a new wireless card and it still wont work. I think I need a WEP passphrase, which I dont have because the person who set up the network wont call me back.(ive posted on here about a week ago about the passphrase problem). I have access to the main compuer and have tried to change the passphrase on it, but it wont change, it just keep going back to the same thing. Please help!!!!
Reply to
sabaaka
Loading thread data ...

"or the one that the DSL is plugged into is connecting to the internet fine. But when I try to, it wont connect at all."

?????????????????????????????????? make up your mind?????

Reply to
BruceM

"or the one that the DSL is plugged into is connecting to the internet fine. But when I try to, it wont connect at all."

By saying this, I am further describing the "main" computer. The main computer is the one that the DSL is plugged into. I am connecting to the internet through that computer thru a wireless network. Also, it does say that my computer is connected to the internet, but I cant get to any web page and it is giving me the "LAN network cable unplugged."

The person who set this up, I cant get a hold of, so have no idea how they configured the network. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
sabaaka

OK, for anyone to understand what your setup is & why it's not working you need to be more helpful. Please answer these questions.

1. What Brand & model is the ADSL modem?
  2. Is this modem 4 ports? (plug in?)
  3. Is this modem wireless? (does it have an antenna?)
  4. Does the phone line from the wall plug into it?
  5. Is there a Cat5 network cable plugged into it?
  6. Does this cable then plug into the back of your "main" comp? (network card?)
  7. For "wireless" to work it needs an "access point". Where or what is it?

The way adsl works usually is for the MODEM to have the connection to the INternet. It has your username & password details inside it. There should be a network cable connecting your main comp to this modem via it's network card & if it is then you should NOT have a "cable unplugged" message.

Reply to
BruceM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.