NEED HELP ON SETTING PASSWORD ON LINKSYS WRT54G

Hello,

I just got the LINKSYS WRT54G WIRELESS 54MBPS ROUTER I want to set a password so if anyone wants to use the wirless internet they have to put in the password.

I have tried using the CD that came with it but it don't seem to help all I was able to do is to change the Adim password but it still lets me log on and my mates with no password.

Cant anyone help me and tell me how to set the password up. Would be really Great.

Thank you in Advance.

Reply to
hodson958
Loading thread data ...

What page of the manual is confusing?

What part of the Linksys Web site is unclear to you?

Reply to
riggor

Open IE or firefox....put 192.168.1.1 into the url window...open the web server that resides in the wrt54g.

Find "security" and then configure the type of security (wep or wpa) and enter the password that you want to use.

Make a record of the password so that you can enter it into the windows wireless logon screen when asked.

Also suggest that you enter your own SSID name. The default is 'linksys'...its amazing how many 'linksys' networks you can access in a given neighborhood.

Reply to
rieker

Hello again.

Thank you for your reply I stil stuck. I have gone to that site and logged in. I think I have changed the SSID now and that has worked.

But still having problems trying to find out to set the password on it.

I have clicked on security but dont see anything to do with (configure the type of security (wep or wpa) And what does that mean WEP and WPA? sorry but its the 1st time I have ever used a wirelss in my house and so it would be big help if you could spell it out as if I am a kid.

Thanks for your help again.

Reply to
hodson958

To change the AdminPassword, log into your router, then click on Administration, then enter your chosen password twice, and click on SaveSettings. Done.

And, it is a good idea to change router setup stuff from a hardwired PC rather than from a radioed PC, so that if the router forgets its settings (or needs to be hard-reset), you can log into it using the router's default username/password.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Log in to the router from a hard wired computer. Select Wireless then Wireless Security. Select WPA2Personal and TKIP+AES. Under shared key enter your new pass phrase. Make it at least 20 figures long.

Reply to
Pen

You might read thru the previous msgs...this is not the issue he is asking about.

Reply to
rieker

On 1 Mar 2007 20:50:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: : Hello again. : : Thank you for your reply I stil stuck. : I have gone to that site and logged in. : I think I have changed the SSID now and that has worked. : : But still having problems trying to find out to set the password on : it. : : I have clicked on security but dont see anything to do with (configure : the type of security (wep or wpa) : And what does that mean WEP and WPA? sorry but its the 1st time I have : ever used a wirelss in my house and so it would be big help if you : could spell it out as if I am a kid. : : Thanks for your help again.

The fundamental problem is that you're not asking the question you think you're asking. The administrator password has to do only with changing the configuration settings of the router itself; it has nothing to do with using the router to access the network. The latter topic is addressed in the configuration options, both in the router itself (the "wireless security" tab, IIRC) and in the wireless interface on your PC. (In that context, the term "password" is normally not used, which probably accounts for some of your confusion.)

The dirty little secret of wireless is that it isn't nearly as simple and easy to use as the manufacturers (and as some of the people who frequent this newsgroup) make it out to be. You may get lucky and have things work on the first try, but many new users have a very different experience. You'll probably need to do a lot of reading and experimentation before you feel comfortable with wireless.

Here's an example: One of those replying to your posts asvised you to use WPA2. (It's the "latest and greatest" encryption scheme.) What he didn't tell you is that even Windows XP SP2 doesn't support WPA2 unless you install a special hotfix. It's easy to install, but you'll probably have to root around the Microsoft site to find it. And even your wireless router may not support WPA2 unless you've installed the latest firmware (V3.04, IIRC, on the WRT54G).

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you have to be realistic. You probably won't learn everything you need to know with the expenditure of just a few hours of effort.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.