Need harware/software for a Mac OS 10.X to access wifi from a Mac lap top.

Need recommendations on hardware/software for a Mac OS 10.X to access wifi from a Mac lap top.

Can be via the lap top USB or Ethernet port.

The specific application. A friend who is a Mac user is going into the hospital for extended treatment and *if* I can find something to adapt his lap top he will have internet access through the hospital system

TIA

Reply to
NotMe
Loading thread data ...

What is wrong with Airport?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

| > Can be via the lap top USB or Ethernet port. | >

| > The specific application. A friend who is a Mac user is going into the | > hospital for extended treatment and *if* I can find something to adapt his | > lap top he will have internet access through the hospital system | >

| > TIA | | What is wrong with Airport?

Cost is the primary issue.

Reply to
NotMe

How old is it? I thought Airport was standard with Apple laptops for a while.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The laptop may not have an Airport card. Older iBook and 12" PB's sometimes do not.

The D-Link DWL-G122 (802.11g) USB adapter comes with an OS X driver.

You can find an extensive, but a bit old list by Googling with the search string:

"Mac OS Wireless Adapter Compatibility List"

-include the quotes.

The list mentions other 3. part wireless USB adapters that work with speciel drivers, like the ones from OrangeWare

formatting link
and IOxperts or Macsense.

Another solution, using the Ethernet port, is a "wireless game adapter" like the Belkin F5D7330 Wireless Ethernet Bridge - or a similar device.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Live and learn. I was thinking Airport had been standard on all Apples for 4-5 years. Gee for my first mistake today (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

| > | > Can be via the lap top USB or Ethernet port. | > | >

| > | > The specific application. A friend who is a Mac user is going into the | > | > hospital for extended treatment and *if* I can find something to adapt | > his | > | > lap top he will have internet access through the hospital system | > | >

| > | > TIA | > | | > | What is wrong with Airport? | >

| > Cost is the primary issue. | | How old is it? I thought Airport was standard with Apple laptops for a | while.

Don't know off hand but the boy is disabled and while he is self supporting he does not have the cash for a better lap top espically since he will have the extra cost of co-pays etc.

Reply to
NotMe

| > > Need recommendations on hardware/software for a Mac OS 10.X to access wifi | > > from a Mac lap top. | > >

| > > Can be via the lap top USB or Ethernet port. | > >

| > > The specific application. A friend who is a Mac user is going into the | > > hospital for extended treatment and *if* I can find something to adapt his | > > lap top he will have internet access through the hospital system | > >

| > > TIA | >

| > What is wrong with Airport? | | The laptop may not have an Airport card. Older iBook and 12" PB's | sometimes do not. | | The D-Link DWL-G122 (802.11g) USB adapter comes with an OS X driver. | | You can find an extensive, but a bit old list by Googling with the | search string: | | "Mac OS Wireless Adapter Compatibility List" | | -include the quotes. | | The list mentions other 3. part wireless USB adapters that work with | speciel drivers, like the ones from OrangeWare |

formatting link
and IOxperts or Macsense. | | Another solution, using the Ethernet port, is a "wireless game adapter" | like the Belkin F5D7330 Wireless Ethernet Bridge - or a similar device.

Thanks.

I'd been all over goggle and several other search engines and came up 'no joy'. I've talked to a number of equipment manufactures and while some say 'eventually' none have the drivers available now.

Reply to
NotMe

Apparently Mr Metaphyzx has closed his site at:

formatting link
However, someone has salvaged the list from archives at:

formatting link
The last one I have from Metaphyzx is from August 11, 2005. This one is from March 8, 2005 and looks pretty complete. See if it helps.

However, the USB adapter to look for today is the D-Link DWL-G122. It comes with an OS X driver (at least it does in Europe).

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

I noticed that, for about $28 on Amazon.com, you can pick up a Belkin F5D7050 Wireless 802.11g USB Network Adapter that evidently will work via the USB port. Here's a review from this site:

formatting link

I have an older iBook that requires an original Apple Airport card. Unfortunately these are no longer in production. They can still be purchased new online for $150-180 if you look for them, or you can get a used one from eBay for $100-150 or so. Couldn't see going those routes so I picked up one of these babies and it works flawlessly with OS 10.4. Belkin doesn't make drivers for it but you can get the driver at the Ralink Technology site

formatting link
Belkin adapter that I received from Amazon is version 3000, and it uses the RT71W driver. It's the one listed at the very bottom of the list of Macintosh drivers, dated 2006/01/25. When you open the box for this adapter, take the Install CD and the Quickstart Guide and all that other Windows-related stuff and throw them straight in the trash. Download and install the driver mentioned above and it'll prompt you to restart afterwards. Then go to your Network System Preferences pane and select Ethernet Adapter(en1) as your connection method. Plug the adapter into an available USB port (1.1 or 2.0, either one will work), then launch the Ralink Wireless Utility that you'll find in your Applications folder. And suddenly - hey yer smokin'! Been connected by cable for over three days now via a wireless Linksys router without a single disconnect. You can do it, too...

A follow up comment to that reviewer noted that he followed the (above) directions and had no problems.

Reply to
Terry Younkin

You don't say what laptop, but the best thing would be to buy an Airport card for it (from Apple or Ebay or somewhere). The software comes with the OS, setting it up is pretty simple.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.