Need Basic Information

Not a problem. RF and wireless are magic. Once you accept that it's magic, and eschew logic, enlightenment will surely follow.

Methinks a buzzword glossary will be of more use. It's not easy to understand anything new without the proper vocabulary. Incidentally, that's the real problem with beginners learning about computahs. Most skip the initial vocabulary expansion exercise and find themselves lost in the technobabble.

These are as basic as they come:

formatting link
formatting link
it in a 2nd window as you read through the newsgroup articles to translate the buzzwords.

Various manufactories have online "Learning Center" which covers the major topics:

formatting link
(Click on Learning Center)
formatting link
are mostly advertising but does show how it all works together.

Once you have mastered a few of the buzzwords, an encyplopedia should be helpful. Start here:

formatting link
click on links as needed. Enlightenment is assured after about an hour or two of reading and meditation.

Well, I can deduce from your first statement, that everything you read in this newsgroup is beyond your current understanding, is either a fabrication or an understatement. Literally half of my copious postings demand exactly two things from the person with the question:

1. What problem are you trying to solve?
  2. What do you have to work with? (hardware, software, versions...) If you actually had read this newsgroup, you could not have failed to notice the litany and supplied your exact model Sony, your wireless card maker amd model, and your operating system version. Perhaps understanding the magic of wireless will be more of an undertaking than I had originally expected.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have been following this newsgroup for some time and find that I have no idea what anyone is talking about! In order for me to get the most out of this group and use the useful information here can someone recommend a web-page or someplace that I can learn the basics about wireless technology? I have an Sony laptop that I use a wireless card, and an HP IPAQ hx4700. Thanks! Bill

Reply to
Dr. William R. Boone

formatting link
:)

keywords such as "wireless networking", will work, you might also want to throw in "tutorial".

I'm not wishing to appear frivolous but there's tons, literally tons of pages out there and different people have different ways of absorbing information. Google is your friend here.

Perhaps if you wished to ask some more specific or basic questions people could help. It's a little vague to say you've followed the group but have no idea. What did you want to learn exactly?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Beginner's Guide to Home Wireless Networking

formatting link
Wireless Networking Q&A
formatting link
How Home Networking Works
formatting link
I hope this helps. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

The problem is that there's tons (I'm not sure you _can_ have "literally tons" of web pages, David - what does a web page weigh?) of pages out there. Google is _not_ your friend unless you know how to be a little more discriminating than "wireless networking". I spent a whole lot of time googling before I thought to try this newsgroup - which has been more help than practically anything else I read on the net, even with a pretty good background in networks. I still found the lingo pretty intimidating.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Google "how much does a web page weigh" ;)

I understand where you're coming from but once you get the idea of Google things should pretty much flow and the whole point of hyperlinks lets people follow them on a journey of discovery.

Imagine how much the internet would weigh if it wasn't filled up with the same questions and answers over and over again. We'd be able to turn off millions of discs saving loads of energy etc.

Well if we are constantly told to turn off TVs that are on standby, same principle applies.

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

There is not an easy way to learn it. I worked for a wireless ISP for 3+years and still learning. Stuff just keeps changing. Good luck and don't burn your eyes reading all that is out there like I do.

Reply to
DS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.