need advice on a wifi setup, with a repeater in between..

I have a waterfront cabin situated on an inlet channel from the ocean (Agamemnon Channel, BC Canada). There is a house with internet access about a mile up the channel from my cabin, but there is mountainous shore line between the sites.

I want to set up a hop across the channel, (about a kilometer) to a repeater, then back to me, (another kilometer or so). At the repeater site, it would be good to have local access as well, as there is another cabin at the repeater site who also wants access. Is any of this practical, and what equipment would it take. I am thinking of a solar panel and battery at the repeat point.

Thanks for any info

Ray

Reply to
Ray
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 01:05:07 GMT, "Ray" wrote in :

+--------------+ | +----------+ | | | Wireless | | | | Access | | | | Point | | ,=:----------+ | ,'' | +--------------+ +--------------+,-' | | | | | +----------,-' | | | | | | Wireless | | | | | | | | Client | | +--------------+ | | | | Bridge | | Cabin 1 w/Internet | | | +----+-----+ | | | | | | | +----------+ | | +----+-----+ | | | Wireless | | | | Wireless | | | | Client ~~~~~~~~~~ Access | | +--------------+ | | | | | | Point | | | | | +----------+ | | +----------:-. | | +--------------+ +--------------+'. | | Cabin 2 Relay '-.| | '-.----------+ | | | Wireless | | | | Client | | | | | | | +----------+ | +--------------+ Cabin 3
  • Another name for Wireless Client Bridge is Wireless Ethernet Bridge.
  • You'll probably need high-gain external antennas on all wireless units (except perhaps Cabin 2).
  • The tricky part is Cabin 2, which might not get enough signal if the Wireless Access Point antenna is pointed at Cabin 3, in which case you'll need another Wireless Access Point at the Relay.
  • You'll need a *lot* of solar power and batteries at the Relay.
Reply to
John Navas

Would buying 3 wap54g linksys routers be a good idea to start to test this out ? I need some specific info to start, and dont want to waste money buying the wrong gear...

Reply to
Ray

To test, you should start with (1) a wireless access point and (2) a wireless client/Ethernet bridge, both with external antenna connectors, and (3) a pair of directional external antennas. If the hardware can be mounted in cabins very close to the antennas, then you can get by with cheaper indoor devices; otherwise you'll need outdoor devices (or to assemble your own outdoor box) with PoE (Power over Ethernet).

For the outdoor antennas I suggest:

• Hawking HAO14SDP Hi-Gain 14dBi Outdoor Directional Antenna Kit

-or-

• Hawking HAO14SD Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

Any decent wireless access point (or router configured as an access point) and wireless client bridge with external antenna connectors can be used, but I'd personally stick with one vendor if you're buying new; e.g., Hawking HWBA54G Wireless-G Multi-Function AP/Bridge (which supports both modes).

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:24:04 GMT, "Ray" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.