Need a recomenation on a replacement for Bufflao WHR-HP-G54

I've been using the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with considerable success for SOHO wifi and small busienss hot spots.

Due to the legal problems the supply of the Buffalo equipment has dried up.

First question is it possable or parctical to purchase Buffalo equipment in Canada, Mexico or someplace else.

Second what's the general consisis or recommendation on a replacement.

Not critical but nice is the equipment supported DD-WRT

TIA

Reply to
NotMe
Loading thread data ...

You can buy them on Ebay.

Also, you can pay extra to buy a Buffalo directly from DD-WRT.com store. It comes preflashed with the version that they sell, so there is some advantage. It must ship from Germany, I believe.

Also, it seems that the Asus line of routers is favored by those folks as well. They used to list it as the most powerful (whatever that means).

The Linksys WRTs are well supported and the L version is one of the easier to flash with DD-WRT and others. I don't think they compare to the HP, but...

Steve

Go here to see compatable routers:

formatting link

Reply to
seaweedsteve

"NotMe" hath wroth:

Not really. I've been buying WHR-HP-G54 routers on eBay from various vendors in Hong Kong. The problem is that the prices are somewhat on the high side. When they were being sold in the USA, they were going for about $80/ea. Now, I'm paying $130 plus about $20 shipping at best.

Yes. You can get them from Germany with DD-WRT pre-installed.

Sorry, but I don't have any recommendations. I've been floundering around with various failures and not really spending the time it would take to find something that really works well. My latest exercise is trying DD-WRT v24 RC6.2 on a Linksys WRT-600N. This should have been the ideal unit, with 32MB of RAM, a USB flash drive (for storing web pages and accounting data), a serial port for running a ticket printer, 12VDC operation, and dual band 2.4/5.7GHz. However, at this time, DD-WRT can only operate the 5Ghz radio. The 2.4GHz radio doesn't work. There's no provision for selecting or controlling the dual band features. There are also bugs, such as the power light flashing for no obvious reason. If DD-WRT can be pounded into running a dual band device, this should be a really fine wireless router, but not quite yet.

Linksys does make a single band version as the WRT-350N with similar features. That will probably be my next fisasco.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | "NotMe" hath wroth: | | >I've been using the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with considerable success for SOHO | >wifi and small busienss hot spots. | >

| >Due to the legal problems the supply of the Buffalo equipment has dried up. | | Not really. I've been buying WHR-HP-G54 routers on eBay from various | vendors in Hong Kong. The problem is that the prices are somewhat on | the high side. When they were being sold in the USA, they were going | for about $80/ea. Now, I'm paying $130 plus about $20 shipping at | best. | | >First question is it possible or practical to purchase Buffalo equipment in Canada, Mexico or someplace else. | | Yes. You can get them from Germany with DD-WRT pre-installed. | | >Second what's the general consensus or recommendation on a replacement. | >Not critical but nice is the equipment supported DD-WRT | | | | Sorry, but I don't have any recommendations. I've been floundering | around with various failures and not really spending the time it would | take to find something that really works well. My latest exercise is | trying DD-WRT v24 RC6.2 on a Linksys WRT-600N. This should have been | the ideal unit, with 32MB of RAM, a USB flash drive (for storing web | pages and accounting data), a serial port for running a ticket | printer, 12VDC operation, and dual band 2.4/5.7GHz. However, at this | time, DD-WRT can only operate the 5Ghz radio. The 2.4GHz radio | doesn't work. There's no provision for selecting or controlling the | dual band features. There are also bugs, such as the power light | flashing for no obvious reason. If DD-WRT can be pounded into running | a dual band device, this should be a really fine wireless router, but | not quite yet. | | Linksys does make a single band version as the WRT-350N with similar | features. That will probably be my next fiasco. '

Thanks,

I'm ordering one and if the process of getting it here works I'll like order a six pack. Yes, a bit more expensive but if it works that will be worth not having to deal with a miss matched pack of hardware.

That said I need a general recommendation on hardware (three units) for a short time to fill in until the over the pond hardware is in hand.

I'm not particularly fond of Linksys but ...any port in a storm.

Any suggestions on what I might consider either Linksys or otherwise. Cheap and dirty works but the key word is works.

Reply to
NotMe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.