Name resolution problem

Dave Rudisill hath wroth:

Yes, two:

1, Run: IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS to clear the cache.

1. Disable the DNS cache.
    formatting link
    worst part is that it will also cache failed DNS lookups for 15 minutes and valid (but out of date) DNS lookups for a full day.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

We travel full-time, so I connect with different WiFi networks all the time. I have had a nagging problem that occurs regardless of the network and regardless of which WiFi adapter I use.

I boot up (Windows XP SP2), find a nearby network, and connect. Works good. I disconnect after doing my business. When I reconnect with the same network from the same location later, I almost never get name resolution until I reboot the laptop; then things work fine again.

I have tried:

-- "Repair" the connection

-- Disable/unplug the WiFi adapter, let Windows rediscover it, and connect again

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

By which I mean that I can ping sites by IP address, but not by name.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

All right! The IPCONFIG/FLUSHDNS didn't do it, but stopping the DNS cache (net stop dnscache) fixed the problem.

Thanks.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

Hay-Zeus, they've done it again. Ignoring the TTL for a name lookup? MS really *does* ignore the rules everyone else uses to make the internet work.

Not that I'm suprised, I'd just never heard about this particular monstrosity before. This renders dynamic DNS (not that I'm a fan of it) pretty much useless...

JS

Reply to
John Schmidt

In my case, my poor laptop is being seen twice. I could ping laptop, and that would be the correct IP address. If I did a ping laptop.full.domain it would be a different address, usually the one from my last connection.

This would bother some connections, but not others. Telnet and VNC work, Remote Desktop and File Sharing do not. MSExchange works.

flushdns/registerdns, and several incantations of nbtstat don't help. ipconfig /displaydns would expose that the old address was still there, even if I hadn't done a ping recently.

Manually going in to the DNS server and deleting the stale entry would make it work for a while, until I changed addresses again.

This one isn't Windows' fault, at least not as a client, because it affects Unix connections to my laptop as well. The DNS server is Windows, so the problem is probably there, but it only seems to affect a couple of laptops in the company... but the symptoms are obscure, so maybe others are affected and just don't notice.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.