my wireless only works when in a open state - meaning no security how do i fixit?

its a netgear router and a fujistu laptop

the internet only works if the network authentication is open and the data encrytion is none.

what the hek? what do i do?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
onamission
Loading thread data ...

onamission hath wroth:

I guess the number keys on your keyboard aren't working, which is probably why you haven't bothered to supply model numbers. Fear of numbers is a common problem and not easily cured. Look on your keyboard and see if you can find the numbers. Then look at your router and laptop and see if you can find those numbers. Type the numbers you find on the router and the laptop on the keyboard. Maybe then we can figure out what you are using.

However, I do have a question you can answer without using the number keys. What operating system are you using on your Fujitsu.

I'm tempted to tell you exactly what to do, but I doubt if you will follow my suggestions.

Try this. Connect to the web interface of your unspecified netgear router. Use a CAT5 ethernet cable plugged into one of the LAN ports on the router, and the ethernet port on your unspecified model Fujitsu laptop. It's probably: http://192.168.0.1 or:

formatting link
both. Go to the wireless setting page as set your encryption to WPA-PSK (or PSA-Personal). Inscribe a long and ugly pass phrase. Write it down so you don't forget it. Save.

Unplug the CAT5 cable. Find whatever you use to connect to the router on your laptop via wireless. If Windoze XP, it's Wireless Zero Config. If Vista, use the wireless wizard. When it asks for the WPA key, type in the pass phrase you scribbled down in the previous step. It should now connect.

If you happen to have Vista, there are some problems with DHCP which may screw things up. See:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.