Multipul USB cords

Is there a device to connect multiple USB cords (16 footers) together, and will it degrade the signal. I'm in the basement with a desktop and not getting a very good signal. I need to gain height.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
helmsman
Loading thread data ...

Regular ones no, but extension cables work real good.. Have the computer in the basement, and needed lots more height for a usb wifi dongle, used two USB extension cables to a power hub on the first floor (and by power for the hub), and then from the hub, two more cables to the USB dongle in the attic.. As I recall you can go about 40 feet with USB cables, the extensions are 16 foot each, and the regular USB cable is 6-8 foot.. Got a best buy nearby? check these out

formatting link
(iogear 16' USB extension cables, $29.99)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Check out

formatting link
I have bought several 15 ft extensions at around 4.00 each.

formatting link
(iogear 16' USB extension cables, $29.99)

>
Reply to
Don Harvey

There are the active USB 2.0 extension cables, search for "USB2FAAEXT15".

Of course the right way to do this is to use an Ethernet wired to wireless adapter, i.e. search for "B000BCDFEA" on Amazon. You can have a very long RJ45 cable.

Reply to
SMS

I've used USB up to 90 feet on some devices, your mileage may vary...err, footage.

There are "smart" USB cables of 15 ft lengths and you can string up to four of them together.

Reply to
DTC

0 items found for B000BCDFEA Save this search
Reply to
helmsman

It worked for me, but here's the direct link: "

formatting link
"

Reply to
SMS

And the correct product is

formatting link
?uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=937-109&x=36&y=14

Reply to
helmsman

formatting link
?uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=937-109&x=36&y=14 You're going to be exceeding the maximum distance for USB, but it might work.

What you have to realize is that the distance limit is not based on how long a distance the signal quality will remain good. Rather it is the maximum distance that the signal can propagate in the time allowed in the USB protocol for device responses.

You can often get away with longer cables because the drivers and/or the microcode in the USB chips in the devices may have some margin in terms of how long they will wait for a response. Then again, you may not get away with it. It's probably worth a try.

Reply to
SMS

formatting link
?uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=937-109&x=36&y=14>

Wish I knew that yesterday. I can get 66% but I can't hold it.

Reply to
helmsman

If you use USB extensions past 15 feet, they should be active powered extensions like the one from Best Buy, linked above. As for the $4 extension, I doubt it's active at that price. They say up to 75 feet for daisy chained active "booster" extensions. I've heard that before. For passive, 15 feet is max.

But yes, if you have to go more than 30 feet, at $20 typical for 15' USB active extensions the cost adds up and I too would consider using a wireless ethernet adapter and then running an ethernet cable to your pc. You can go well over 300 feet of cable and can run up to four off the same adapter.

Here's a good one:

formatting link
Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.