Multiple Access Points Setup

Hello,

Our company will be having a sales meeting next week, and I would like to provide wireless access to our local network. There will be approx

25 users connecting. I plan to set up 2 units, 1 WRT54G router, and another configured as an access point. They will be on the same SSID. I am looking to avoid any router/access point congestion, which is the reason for the 2 devices.

Any ideas on what would be the optimal setup for this environment?? Should the units be on the same SSID?? Same or differnet channels?? Are 2 devices truly required?

Appreciate the help!! Thanks

Phil

Reply to
Mikester
Loading thread data ...

You will need to use two seperate channels one for each access point. Space the channels with at least five channels between them so that they do not overlap ie channels 1-6, 2-7, 3-11 etc.

As far as using the same SSID that will work but you will have no way of limiting how many clients connect to each access point. Some access points such as Cisco support limiting the number of concurrent associations and can better manage the avaliable bandwidth.

The one statement you did not make was what will the clients be doing? The number of clients per access points is proportional to the demands that each client is going to be placing on the access point. The

802.11G access points can sustain data throughput of about 15 to 20 mbits per second in real world use. The 54 mbit rate is an over the air rate and is about as accurate as the MPG standards for vehicles.
Reply to
kbloch2001

Hi,

Temporary setup?

Use two different SSIDs, on two different channels, seperated by at least 3 channels.

Tell one side of the room to connect on one SSID and the other side to connect on the other.

Reply to
Eric

Hi,

Temporary setup?

Use two different SSIDs, on two different channels, seperated by at least 3 channels.

Tell one side of the room to connect on one SSID and the other side to connect on the other.

[Adding]. Use encryption to force the above. Use different keys on the WAP's and only give out one key per person.
Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.