multiple access points

I have a Dlink DIR-655 in the basement, next to the cable modem. It covers most of the house but does not get too far outside. I would like to put an access point on the first floor to service the backyard. I tried reviving an old Linksys WAP54G but the latest firmware (3.04) is so unstable I gave up after two wasted nights.

I did not see a Dlink access point that supports 802.11N, only access points as part of routers. Anyone have experience putting two DIR-655 routers on the same network?

I suppose I turn off DHCP on the second device. In addition, I set the SSID to the same and the channel to a non-overlapping channel (ie. 1,

6, 11).

Any tried-and-true stories or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

- Tired Techie -

Reply to
Tired Techie
Loading thread data ...

When we lived in England, I had an old Linksys router connected to the incoming cable modem, and an access point plugged into the router. I did it this way because the router was the old, 802.11b standard whereas the access point supported 802.11g. The access point and router together were configured so that DNS was with the router, not with the access point. (I don't know if this is the only possible configuration, but it is the way my son had it set up.) It worked all the time and never gave me any trouble. I disabled the wireless function on the router, obviously. Someone else on this newsgroup will have to offer advice about how to configure the wireless function if two routers / access points are enabled with their wireless functions.

Reply to
Dave

D-Link has an access point that supports 802.11N: it is the DIR-1353. I think it will be easier than using DIR-655. My guess is that DIR-655 just works as NAT router, so you will have some dificulties if you try more advanced things like sharing printers, or things like that (not saying it is impossible, just saying that it not for the average network home user).

Reply to
mlrodrig

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.