Moving from cable to ADSL...

What Linksys ADSL WiFi router do you recommend I purchase to replace my trusty WRT54G cable routers?

Any thoughts gratefully received...

Reply to
__spc__
Loading thread data ...

On 22 Jul 2006 00:04:41 -0700, "__spc__" wrote in :

Stick with the trusty WRT54G. Connect it to your ADSL modem.

Reply to
John Navas

[snip]

As part of my connection package

formatting link
,I'm receiving a BT V220 WiFi hub. I guess then I just need to CAT5 this into a LAN port on my current gateway router? (I have two WRT54G running WDS, so I would like to keep this arrangment.)

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
__spc__

On 22 Jul 2006 03:27:43 -0700, "__spc__" wrote in :

Go with Option 1 instead. All you need is an ADSL modem.

Reply to
John Navas

I *need* the WDS set up to extend the WiFi coverage (wirelessly) throughout my property...

Reply to
__spc__

On 22 Jul 2006 07:22:22 -0700, "__spc__" wrote in :

1. Is it not working now?

1. Do you know that WDS often won't work when mixing different brands of wireless?

Reply to
John Navas

"__spc__" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

So what's the problem ? I'm pretty sure John meant use option 1, and plug into your existing network.

All that's needed is an ADSL modem. The ADSL modem goes in place of your current cable modem. Period. End-of-story.

Of course, I didn't see anything that offered just a modem, unless that was a given and the hubs, as they call it, are just in addition to the ADSL modem.

Out of curiosity, in the UK, do most ISP's have a quota, either soft or hard ? Your package says 6GB. That doesn't sound like a lot to me. I regularly download 5 Gigs of actual file size a couple times a month. I assume that means ALL total traffic to your connection....surfing, e-mail, newsgroups, etc.

Reply to
DanS

Sorry, I was misunderstanding things.

If I can just connect the new WiFi hub (in place of my current cable modem) into my current gateway WRT54G then I am happy.

Thanks, all, for helping me on this.

Reply to
__spc__

"__spc__" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Well, the web page say WiFi Hub, which (over here anyway) is the wrong terminology. A hub, is a hub, just that. A device used to interconnect ethernet capable devices. A dumb device that just connect each device to each other device. All network traffic is sent out all of the connections on the hub.

Then there a switch. A switch is similar to a hub, except it is smarter and does not 'broadcast' all traffic to all ports. For example, say you have 10 network devices connected. The switch will know what device is on which port and only send network packets out that specific port.

To me, it looks like it's a marketing thing to call it a hub......your 'hub' for communications.....buy BT.

And it appears to be a combo ADSL modem/Wireless NAT router/Multi-port switch.

The most simple way of doing what you want is to use an ADSL modem ONLY. Then THAT would just replace your cable modem in your existing setup. But it looks like they force you to use one of these all-in-one devices.

Do you need this device ? Sounds like no. Will they supply just a plain modem only ? Can't hurt to ask.

Reply to
DanS

On 22 Jul 2006 13:52:24 -0700, "__spc__" wrote in :

Again, you just need an ADSL modem. Not a "Wi-Fi hub" (no such thing -- presumably they mean wireless access point).

Reply to
John Navas

| Out of curiosity, in the UK, do most ISP's have a quota, either soft or | hard ? Your package says 6GB. That doesn't sound like a lot to me. I | regularly download 5 Gigs of actual file size a couple times a month. I | assume that means ALL total traffic to your connection....surfing, e-mail, | newsgroups, etc.

The providers need to do something to stop their customers from downloading movies. Otherwise said customers won't sign up for the TV service offerings they have now (cable) or plan to have (telco). And besides, all that movie downloading and sharing swamps their peering trunks.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

| What Linksys ADSL WiFi router do you recommend I purchase to replace my | trusty WRT54G cable routers?

Summary of the followups already posted: just keep the WRT54G doing the same thing it has always been doing, but plugged into the ADSL modem instead of the Cable modem. If it works in your network setup now on Cable, it should work just find on ADSL. Whether Cable or ADSL, the modems talk either PPPoE or DHCP (plain ethernet with upstream IP assignment). The WRT54G talks both of those (as would any decent broadband router). Keep the Pounds in your pocket.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On 23 Jul 2006 03:27:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote in :

The real problem is that such traffic is almost entirely illegal.

Reply to
John Navas

On 23 Jul 2006 03:33:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote in :

Or bridged static IP.

Reply to
John Navas

[snip]

Thanks - I understand now.

All I do is replace my cable modem with what ever ADSL modem device BT supply me with...

Reply to
__spc__

downloading

thats only a problem if the supplier does have a video / TV offering.

in UK - cable does compete for the TV audience, but not many ADSL suppliers.

most of the limites seems to be price war driven - since the ISPs mainly use DSLAMs provided by BT, network variable costs are about contention in backhaul, and transit capacity - limiting usage by consumers minimises both.

|---------------------------------------/----------------------------------|

|------------------------------------/-------------------------------------|

Reply to
stephen

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 03:53:48 GMT John Navas wrote: | On 23 Jul 2006 03:27:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote in | : | |>On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:05:15 -0500 DanS wrote: |>

|>| Out of curiosity, in the UK, do most ISP's have a quota, either soft or |>| hard ? Your package says 6GB. That doesn't sound like a lot to me. I |>| regularly download 5 Gigs of actual file size a couple times a month. I |>| assume that means ALL total traffic to your connection....surfing, e-mail, |>| newsgroups, etc. |>

|>The providers need to do something to stop their customers from downloading |>movies. Otherwise said customers won't sign up for the TV service offerings |>they have now (cable) or plan to have (telco). And besides, all that movie |>downloading and sharing swamps their peering trunks. | | The real problem is that such traffic is almost entirely illegal.

True. But the providers don't really care in case where it doesn't affect their bottom line. Cable providers would in many cases because it would affect the number of people subscribing to movie channels, pay-per-view, etc. Telcos won't, until they start getting into providing TV services over their twisted pairs or new fiber. And that is starting to happen.

We might end up seeing BPL providers restrict the use of battery or solar powered devices, if they could find a way :-)

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> On 22 Jul 2006 00:04:41 -0700 __spc__ wrote: |>

|> | What Linksys ADSL WiFi router do you recommend I purchase to replace my |> | trusty WRT54G cable routers? |>

|> Summary of the followups already posted: just keep the WRT54G doing the |> same thing it has always been doing, but plugged into the ADSL modem |> instead of the Cable modem. If it works in your network setup now on |> Cable, it should work just find on ADSL. Whether Cable or ADSL, the |> modems talk either PPPoE or DHCP (plain ethernet with upstream IP |> assignment). The WRT54G talks both of those (as would any decent |> broadband router). Keep the Pounds in your pocket. | [snip] | | Thanks - I understand now. | | All I do is replace my cable modem with what ever ADSL modem device BT | supply me with...

That should do it. If there are problems, get model numbers, serial numbers, etc, and come back and ask.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.