Motorola Print Server Problem

I just picked up a Motorola WPS870g print server to use on my Motoroal wireless network. There is a point in the setup where you disconnect the ethernet cable from the print server and the print server is supposed to find the network. Not happening.

I've got my printer plugged into the PS parallel port, all other motorola components on my system (to help ensure compatibility), and a WPA-PSK/Tkip securing on the network that operates on channel 7.

Motorola tech support told me that I MUST HAVE file and print sharing ENabled on my XPproSP2 box but couldn't tell me how to do that (and mine wasn't enabled). I've since discovered (I *think*) how to do that but it hasn't made any change in the motorola setup process.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

thanks, John

Reply to
jcage
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com, the seller of dead eels, pattered:

Where, in any of the group names that you have posted to, is "motorola setup process" implied, you shitwitted fuckwad?

Reply to
Kadaitcha Man

It may be a stretch of imagination for some people but it IS a wireless issue and it was my hope that there may be others with experience on Motorola components who've 'been there, done that'. Clearly not yourself but thanks for the thoughtful reply, just the same.

Reply to
jcage

I was going to post help earlier but I waited to see if someone more qualified had the answer. I use a Linksys wireless printer devise. Did yours come with a quickstart guide? Did it come with a disk?

Reply to
Jimmy B

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com hath wroth:

If you search alt.internet.wireless for "WPS870g", you'll find that WPA-PSK on the WPS870g doesn't work. |

formatting link
works but I do NOT suggest you downgrade to WEP encryption on your wireless network just to get this print server to function.

Are you using the latest firmware (version 1.10)??? |

formatting link
WPS870G Page |
formatting link

That has NOTHING to do with "finding" the network. The print server wireless client has to connect to your unspecified wireless access point or router, and is failing to connect. No amount of tinkering with Windoze Shares is going to make that happen. I'm not sure if sharing is required but if you need instructions, see: |

formatting link
Try disabling encryption temporarily on your wireless router or access point and see if it functions. Then call Motorola back and ask them why WPA doesn't work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes it did and I've been through the quick start guide and even on the phone with tech support (after numerous emails). All the guy could tell me was that if my print & file sharing in XP were turned on, it should work. I went through some similar pains when setting up my network where their tech support is concerned. With Motorola, you seem to kind of be on your own but once you have it up and running, it's pretty reliable and bulletproof. Bought the print server thinking that perhaps things might have changed (AND the fact that I'd hoped for a flawless interface with my other components), but the saga goes on...

Reply to
jcage

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com, the dosshouse cook, sighed:

Well, if you're so f****ng confident, fix it, you brain-dead bonehead.

Reply to
Kadaitcha Man

Have you checked to see if it is a firewall issue?

Reply to
Jimmy B

Very informative - thank you sir... Looks like the print server might be going back if it comes to dropping security to make it work. thanks again, very much...

John

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

formatting link
WEP works but I do NOT suggest you downgrade to WEP encryption on your

formatting link

Reply to
jcage

Looks like mom and dad left you all alone again this weekend eh, buddy? Hang in there lil pard.

Reply to
jcage

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com, the loony pastor, wanted to talkee-talkee about:

Reply to
jcage

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com, the court jester, warned:

Reply to
jcage

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com, the ulcerated executor, balked:

Reply to
jcage

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com, the corset maker, prescribed:

Reply to
jcage

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.