more on problems

I changed out my airport extreme (the big one that looks more like a personal pan pizza box then a mushroom-grin) for my express (the small one that looks a lot like an old transistor radio for those of a certain age). It worked for a while, and I tested it out on my iPhone. But when I moved the express off the floor and into the cabinet, it stopped working. I unplugged the modem, plugged it back in a couple of times. Restarted the computer a couple of times. Finally the modem lights looked like they were flashing but I couldn't find any indication that the express was still working. My sniffer found nothing. I started up the Airport Utility and it couldn't find it either. (Although it did find my still plugged into power extreme. Any ideas as to what I need to do to get my WiFi back?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman
Loading thread data ...

The shotgun approach doesn't seem to be working well for you. Do you have any plans to do proper (i.e., methodical, logical, step by step) troubleshooting at any point?

Reply to
Griff McGraw

Yes, I would love to. Do you have any suggestions for places I could to get this information? That is sorta why I came here after what I tried wasn't working.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

If it were me I'd go back to just the basic cable modem to PC connection again and verify that it is stable. Not just 5 minutes but is it good for a couple of hours.

I suspect you have a cable modem/cable line problem as you should not need to power cycle your cable modem more than one time in order to make it work with your PC, providing the PC is setup correctly to the cable modem.

One thing to try is to power off your PC AND your cable modem at the same time. Then power on the cable modem and wait for all the lights to become stable, say 5 minutes for a crappy line. Then power on your modem and see how that works. If you can't get a direct feed from the PC to the cable modem it's time to forget the router for now and work with your cable provider to find out what's wrong.

If you leave the router in the mix the power cycle is similar, all off, then power on the cable modem and wait for things to stabilize, then power on the router and wait for it's lights to stabilize, then last power on the PC and see what happens.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

It has been up for about 8 hours now.

After I posted this, I lost it again for about an hour and spent another on the phone to support (well about 10 minutes to support the other 50 hearing how important my custom was to them... but I digress), and the tech I finally got to noted I was losing packets and there were fluctuations of some sort and they are sending out a tech tonight. Now why nobody thought to do that when I called a couple of nights ago....) The modem is approaching 10 years old IIRC.

I had tried both of those.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Forgot to say thanks. Thanks.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.