More control over my RangeMax router

We have a whole house network with a FutureSmart distribution panel and a Netgear WPN824 router. I need more access control than the firmware seems to give. For instance:

- I can set up a schedule for certain types of access, but I can't create more than one schedule. If I want, say, to limit AIM during afternoon hours and web browsing in the evening, I cannot do that.

- If I want to schedule the total shutdown/wakeup of all wireless activity, I cannot. I can manually turn the radio on or off, but it's all manual.

I don't think that the things I'm asking for are unreasonable, but the router I have does not seem to provide them. Should I look elsewhere? Are these capabilities typical of what advanced users expect out of their wireless routers? If so, is there a way to bring those capabilities to my current router or do I need to buy a new one, and if so, what should I be looking for?

Many thanks...

Rick A. Pleasanton CA

Reply to
Rick Altman
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:19:07 -0700, "Rick Altman" wrote in :

You should look elsewhere. Start by looking at DD-WRT. If it meets your requirements, a suitable and very good hardware platform is the Buffalo high power wireless router.

Reply to
John Navas

You should look into a high-end FW router or a low-end FW appliance that will give you those features, which will be an all wire solution. You can convert the wire/wireless router you have into a wire/WAP switch or go purchase a standalone WAP device and plug either one of them into the all wire FW router or FW appliance. The all wired FW router or FW appliance will be the gateway device for the LAN and WAN for both the wired and wireless machines.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.