Monitorin wireless networks via a CAT5 cable

I have a wrt54g router that is connected via ethernet to my main dekstop PC

Is there a way or some software that I can use that let me monitor any wirelss signals or networks from the desktop? or do I need to use a wifi card instea?

Make any sense?

thanks

pleb xbs

Reply to
Plebism
Loading thread data ...

"Plebism" hath wroth:

Yeah, sorta. It would have been nice if you specificed what hardware version of WRT54G (see serial number tag) and what firmware version. There are 8 versions, most of which are quite different from each other. Since you also didn't bother mentioning your operating system, I'll assume Windoze XP Home.

The ultimate sniffer is Kismet Drone. See:

I suspect you don't want to go through all that to make it work.

I use DD-WRT v23 SP3 on my home router. It has several monitor modes to identify AP's and clients using WiViz:

In its present form, methinks it sucks, but it does function, sorta.

You can also scan from the command line using the Linux "wl" command. From a previous posting:

For example, from my palatial office: wl ap 0 (turn off access point mode) wl scan (scan for access points) wl scanresults (display results) wl ap 1 (turn access point mode back on)

SSID: "Mariposa's Art" Mode: Managed RSSI: -89 dBm noise: -99 dBm Channel: 6 BSSID: 00:0D:88:BF:5A:97 Capability: ESS WEP ShortPre ShortSlot Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 11(b) 6 12 24 36 9 18 48 54 ]

SSID: "CMS" Mode: Managed RSSI: -75 dBm noise: -93 dBm Channel: 11 BSSID: 00:11:50:0C:92:F7 Capability: ESS WEP ShortSlot Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 11(b) 18 24 36 54 6 9 12 48 ] WPA: multicast cipher: TKIP unicast ciphers(1): TKIP AKM Suites(1): WPA-PSK No WPA Capabilities advertised

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.