monitor network

Hi

I have a guesthouse with a wifi network installed. How can I monitor the number of connections and check if guests are accessing dodgy sites.

Reply to
Tiscali
Loading thread data ...

Couple of questions. Is the guesthouse in any way hooked up to the main house for the internet/wifi connection. In other words I am asking how the guesthouse gets the connection to the internet.

About monitoring what sites are being visited. First ask yourself if this is immediate family you want to monitor. If it is family I can see doing some monitoring.

Now if these are guests who pay to stay at the guesthouse, or even friends of yours, why would you want to monitor their online activities.

Reply to
Dana

Hi

I have a broadband connection coming into the house through a phone line. This plugs into a Belkin ADSL2 Modem with Wireless-G Router. I have a desktop pc connected to the modem via a wire.

I also have a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point connected to the router and this is sited in another part of the house.

So when Guests arrive with a laptop and ask for internet access I give them the code and away they go.

What I need to do is monitor how many guests are connected to the network at any one time and also monitor if guests are accessing dodgy sites. This is for my own protection because if a guest is logged on and doing something illegal them maybe I need to have a record of this. I would make it clear to guests that all surfing is recorded.

Thanks

Reply to
Tiscali

Try the following links

formatting link
?docid=229011>

Reply to
Dana

formatting link

Reply to
Dana

What sounds dodgy here is that you are trying tomonitor the internet activity of guests. Have you ever heard of an internet cafe? Just like youtr geusts one pays for internet access, if I found out it was being recorded I'd have their heads. You might want to check out your guest legal rights here, last time I check what you are talking about is illegal.

Reply to
HotRod

At least in the US according to T-mobile's page at Starbucks and the intro page at Panera's (the only time I come close to using a INet Cafe), they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time. Especially in this case, since if you are on my personal (non-public) system you are there entirely and completely at my pleasure.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I'm thinking about the laws that "use to be / are"? in place regarding employee monitoring of emails etc. At least where I live an employees email etc. was private unless they specifically signed that right away. I've always cautioned employers to err on the side of caution. If he is renting / selling a guest space advertised with "Wireless internet" I'd suspect that once money changed hands the guest would have a good chance at arguing that it was "his internet" for that time period. Just ask a lawyer and setup the guest location on it's own IP range so that activity is pointed back to them.

Reply to
HotRod

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.