Monitor mode 802.11 on Windows

I've developed a Java library[1] that creates analogs to the standard java.net.Socket class, with raw access to packets at the IP and Ethernet frame layers, creating generic Packet objects(basically, this lets me do low-level r/w network access in Java with a fairly straightforward API that's consistent between the different layers of the network). Basic concept is to allow use of protocols that aren't supported by java.net (so far, it's been used to write packet sniffers, nmap style port scanners, and I'd like to extend this functionality to include 802.11 packet monitoring, but have only been able to do this with a limited set of adapters under Linux. Under Windows, due to driver limitations, 802.11 devices are only accessible as virtual 802.3 devices, so I can't do any interesting radio packet level sniffing or manipulation.

So I'm looking for recommendations for Windows drivers (commercial drivers are acceptable) that enable promiscuous/monitor mode access for at least read support, and preferably read and write support. A clearly defined API is good as well.

Note that, for a variety of functionality reasons, we don't use (and would prefer not to use) WinPcap to access packets.

[1] Internal to my company, presently, but I'm probably going to have it open-sourced soon.
Reply to
Richard Kaszeta
Loading thread data ...

Note that it's not just the driver. The wireless device has to be capeable of supporting promiscuous and/or monitor mode.

formatting link

It's rather difficult to avoid using something so popular.

Yeah, that would make me really happy.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yeah, but there are still plenty of devices that allow this, at least with a good driver (my first prototype implementation was on Linux using an old Orinoco Gold card).

That's what I'm working with now, which is probably going to be my first effort.

On my to-check out list as well.

Indeed, but there were some significant security issues for the application driving all this work, and especially when writing packets it was more than a little kludgy.

I'll make a post here when I do that, since it should be useful, and I'd like to get more people using/testing it. That, and the fact that this software was sort of a byproduct of other work anyways.

Thanks for the pointers.

Reply to
Richard Kaszeta

You should have kept the Orinoco Gold card, lol...they are so good that I am getting one shipped in from New York all the way over the the UK.

Reply to
C Denver

I still have it (actually, I have quite a few of them), but it's an older one and doesn't do 802.11g.

Reply to
Richard Kaszeta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.