"Mobile users diss premium content"

Nah, GPS too inaccurate for me. I use my topo maps on laptop.

Haven't figured out yet how to tether my iPaq to my phone.

Already have a mobile AP with extendable 30' mast.

That would get me into trouble.

Already have a saddle mount for my web cam when I go trail riding in the grasslands. (Makes note to get a metal case for laptop, horses like to rub against trees)

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy
Loading thread data ...

Please don't tell me you did that. :)

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy
[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

My GPS is accurate/repeatable to about 15 feet.

Reply to
John Navas

Of course it is.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Yeah, but do you need the USB cable, or can you do it with the Bluetooth? I'll get the cable if I must, but I'd prefer not.

No surprise. My cell company hasn't had a state of the art phone in the 10 years I've been using them...

Reply to
Derek Broughton

I use Bluetooth.

Reply to
John Navas

Excellent, thanks.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

And my hummer gets 38 MPG

Reply to
George

For what its worth, _my_ GPS (Garmin eMap) /is/ accurate to 15 feet, less sometimes. How do I know? I've stood on a trig point and compared to where the emap thinks I am.

The only way a hummer gets 38MPG is if the M stands for metres.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I posted in 2001 about the trip my apartment building took. Two nights in a row, my apartment building took off from my Chicago suburb and flew into Indiana (according to my GPS). Readings stopped when the building hit 100,000 feet at 650 MPH somewhere southwest of Lafayette, Indiana. I also had one other occurrance where the apartment building went up like an elevator from its ground level (just under 700 feet AMSL) to 1100 feet, then way down to about

60 feet below sea level, then returned.

USUALLY my GPS is accurate to 15 feet or less. If you believe yours is *always* that accurate, go try your story in sci.geo.satellite-nav.

Reply to
clifto

Sorry, just because you obtained that accuracy at a location does not indicate in any way that it is accurate to 15 feet *all* of the time as you state.

Reply to
George

And SprintNextel reported data ARPU for the 4th quarter that 50% (?) higher than Cingular. Wanna try again, genius?

Obviously at least three rungs higher than you- your ignorance in this thread proves that.

Reply to
Scott

"Scott" hath wroth:

formatting link
Nextel has been able to nab a nearly $20 premium per user vs. Cingular primarily because of its high ratio of business to consumer customers (80% vs. 20%). Business users tend to spend more for features, applications and reliability.

The article and accompanying numbers are a bit dated but the effect of the large number of business customers is still the same.

Sprint/Nextel:

formatting link
quarter ARPU = $63 per user.

Cingular:

formatting link
quarter ARPU = $49 per user.

Difference = (63 - 49) / 49 = 29% Not anywhere near 50%. The difference again is mostly due to the different business/consumer mix.

For sake of completeness, Verizon = $49 per user, same as Cingular.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

clifto hath wroth:

Reflections and crappy processing. I drive through a small canyone every day. The moving map display is truely artistic when the signals have to go through trees, bounce off hillsides, and fade in and out.

I suggest downloading and running:

formatting link
see for yourself. One version is free. I sometimes have it running for hours when my car is parked somewhere. One standard deviation is about 20ft for my ancient Magellan map 410.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
4th quarter ARPU = $63 per user.

formatting link
4th quarter ARPU = $49 per user.

The numbers I referred to were data (premium service) APRU numbers specifically reported by each carrier- I believe I was quite clear about that.

Cingular reported data ARPU in excess of $4.50 while SprintNextel came in at over $6.00, which was the highest in the industry. You'll notice that the

50% is followed by question marks, indicating that I was unsure of the actual number- unlike Navas, I actually have a life and the actuial numbers had slipped my mind. The estimates were posted to invalidate the claim that Nextel "has to give it away to make up for how uncompetitive it is" (a direct quote from John Navas). And while my numbers are not accurate to the penny or percentage point, they are much more accurate than anything Navas has posted in this thread.

You'll also notice that Navas will never respond to these numbers, as he knows that he was caught in a lie yet again. SprintNextel is not giving away services as he claimed- the numbers don't lie.

A non-factor- money is money no matter where it comes from.

Reply to
Scott

Well it does show that Sprint's purchase of Nextel may have been a good idea, but time will tell if they get a positive ROI out of the deal. So far no one else's PTT is as good as Nextel's. If the iDEN network is shutdown, suddenly you'll have three carriers competing for PTT customers with poorer quality PTT, both in service and equipment, but with much better coverage overall. No incentive to stay with Sprint if that happens, though Sprint will try to retain them, and just the effort to change carriers will help them retain most of the Nextel users.

Reply to
SMS

"Scott" hath wroth:

Sorry. I missed the word "data" in your statement below. I was thinking overall revenue. "And SprintNextel reported data ARPU for the 4th quarter that 50% (?) higher than Cingular. Wanna try again, genius?"

formatting link
find Cingular ARPU from data at $4.71 for 4th quarter 2005. Close enough.

I couldn't find anything specific for Sprint/Nextel with some sources mentioning "about $6" for wireless data ARPU.

Interesting article on the subject of wireless data revenues. |

formatting link

I'm not so sure he's totally wrong. Nextel is selling GPS location and navigation services which is a big seller among public safety organizations using Nextel in place of conventional 2-way radio. Cingular has nothing that's even close. Nextel gets $20/month per phone for "mobile location" which methinks is rather expensive and will certainly skew the wireless data derived ARPU numbers.

formatting link
's become almost a requirement for the local security services and delivery agents that use Nextel.

I beg to differ slightly. If the data services are subsidized by equipment and 3rd party vendors, it's not money spent by the customer. The real issue (from my warped perspective) is how much does Joe Sixpack pay for the service. However, I see no evidence of a Nextel giveaway or subsidies for data services at this time.

If the numbers were broken down seperating the various data components such as:

1. Internet access
  2. SMS messaging
  3. photo distribution
  4. GPS services
  5. mapping and direction services.
  6. etc. it would probably be much easier to see where the giveaways and subsidies are hiding. For example, it seems that Nextel charges 1. Internet access 2. SMS messaging 3. photo distribution 4. GPS services 5. mapping and direction services. 6. etc. it would probably be much easier to see where the giveaways and subsidies are hiding. For example, it seems that Nextel charges $0.15/SMS message while Cingular charges $0.10 (based on overage charges). If the number of messages were equal and fairly substantial, that would skew the ARPU numbers..15/SMS message while Cingular charges 1. Internet access 2. SMS messaging 3. photo distribution 4. GPS services 5. mapping and direction services. 6. etc. it would probably be much easier to see where the giveaways and subsidies are hiding. For example, it seems that Nextel charges $0.15/SMS message while Cingular charges $0.10 (based on overage charges). If the number of messages were equal and fairly substantial, that would skew the ARPU numbers..10 (based on overage charges). If the number of messages were equal and fairly substantial, that would skew the ARPU numbers.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It doesn't skew- it increases the number, which is the whole point of measuring it. That is why it is measured as an average (and is essentailly measured identically by all carriers).

But they are not in that sense. Any subsidy would come as a decrease in licensing or development cost or a service discount, not as a service subsidy.

Again, it doesn't skew. In your example, Nextel would simply have a higher ARPU.

Reply to
Scott

And if the assumption that any non-iDen PTT alternative is the same as the VZW or Cingular crap, you are correct. However, the company has technology licensed that (at least on paper) appears to be far superior and does not rely on a bastardization of normal telephony (like Cingular). They are in no hurry to get something out there- they have a working product that will soon be available on cross-platform phones. By the time they get ready to shed the iDen network (still years away), most of their voice and data traffic will be CDMA and a viable CDMA PTT solution will also exist.

Reply to
Scott

FWIW I don't recollect ever having said any such thing. I recall a trip from Wales to Oxford which was recorded ok, but which on closer examination had one stray point on Rockall... The point is, its perfectly capable of being accurate to 15ft, or indeed better. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.