MN-510 Gets Lost

I know this is an "old" model but generally works fine with my wife's Sony PC running WinXP Home. IP is assigned automatically.

Router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 and no problems with my wireless laptop or cabled PC.

Every 4-6 weeks however it does a brain fart and the adapter simply doesn't show up in the broadband connection utility or it shows a wrong IP. Ipconfig doesn't help.

Initially, the NIC [which is not used] would incorrectly appear in the broadband connecton utility. I disabled the NIC. Problem continues.

The easiest way to fix has been to uninstall all instances of the USB device, plug into another port and restart.

This is time consuming and I'm sure I'm missing something.

Is there an easier way to restore this adapter? Any idea why it looses its mind occassionally?

Hope that's enough information.

Thanks for any comments.

Reply to
John Keiser
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:04:50 -1000, "John Keiser" wrote in :

What wrong IP? I'm guessing DHCP is failing, so Windows is doing an auto-config (that won't work). Is the router locked up? Does power cycling the router solve the problem?

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 23:59:38 GMT, John Navas wrote in :

p.s. A common cause of this problem is a router falling over due to peer-to-peer filesharing. Regardless, make sure the router has the latest firmware, which may help.

Reply to
John Navas

No. Repowering the router does not help.

Instead of 192.168.1.XXX the MN-510 PC shows 169.XXX.X.XXX.

So yes, I did suspect a DHCP issue but ruled it out so far.

Thank you.

Reply to
John Keiser

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:55:26 -1000, "John Keiser" wrote in :

That means DHCP has failed. The cause might be radio interference or router lockup.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.