Mk 2 USB WiFi antenna !

Half the WiFi world seems to have latched on to the Poormans USB WiFi "scoop" antenna idea we rustled up mid 2004, with ~1000 hits daily still averaged at the resource page =>

formatting link

To suit situations where such Chinese cookware WiFi antenna may be

-ah- "visually distracting", we've rustled up a more professional USB WiFi parabolic design based around cheap cooking sieves and a flexible stalk desklamp base. See pix & Netstumbler testing graphs =>

formatting link

Performance, measured with NS,indicates 12+ dB gain over a bare USB dongle- the classic " scoop" gives more like 15dB of course. When spray painted black, the Mk.2 setup looks almost invisible & could easily be used in a library etc with ones laptop - cover with a plastic bag or jersey perhaps for discretion. Bill of materials ~NZ$15, with parts readily available via "The Warehouse" etc.

Recommended ! Stan in NZ

Reply to
manuka
Loading thread data ...

What is the diameter of the Sieve in the picture? You'd think it would be an easy item to attain, but most are only 8-9inches (20.32 cm - 22.6 cm) with

10inches (25.4 cm) being conisdered the LARGE ONE by most suppliers. I have found some 12-14 inch ( 30.48 cm- 35.56cm )models but they aren't quite shaped right, and they are going for around $30 plus shipping USD. Worth it if you could know it would work and gain properly, but a lot to just cut up and find the wrong design and dimensions. Great idea and thanks. When I find the right supplier I will post. (USES Wise that is ) Also, some have a coarser mesh. Is small mesh preferred?

Reply to
helpster

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.