Mixed mode network question

I'm in the process of buying a wireless network adapter for my son's Xbox, and have a question.

My set up is: Verizon DSL with Westell Wirespeed modem, Linksys WRT54GS router (computer #1 with XP Home wired into this), and a Linksys WMP54GS wireless PCI card (Computer #2 with XP Pro). I very rarely transfer large files between computers; the network is used almost exclusively for internet connectivity.

The adapter I'm looking at is a Linksys Wireless B game adapter. My question: by adding a "B" adapter to my "G" network, will this hamper my internet download speeds? As I understand it, "B" devices are at 11 Mbps, and "G" devices are 54 Mbps, and my DSL downloads don't exceed 768 Kbps, so I really don't see the advantage of "G" over "B", with the exception of being able to transfer files within the network. Thanks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff
Loading thread data ...

WRT54GS

You are correct in your assumption. The worst that could happen is that your son is using the game adapter while you are trying to transfer files from one computer to the next and you would probably transfer at B speeds.

Reply to
Airhead

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.