Mixed encryption network

I have a wireless network at home consisting of a Motorola wr850g with dd-wrt as the main router/WAP. I also have another wr850g with dd-wrt acting as a client bridge to my home office to provide access to the computers in there. There are also an additional 2 computers floating around with wireless adapters. With this setup I can run WPA-PSK with no problems.

However, I have also have a Dell Axim X3i PDA with Wifi built in that I would like to use with this network. The problem is that the PDA doesn't handle WPA -- only WEP. I have a spare wireless router (a trusty old Siemens Speedstream 2624) that I could add to the system for WEP only devices, but that would introduce a weak link into the network security.

Question: Can I easily isolate the traffic on the WEP only router from the rest of the network so if an attacker gets on the WEP router, he/she only has internet access and not local network access? (I'm fine with some hacker trying to hack my PDA.)

The Siemens router is very reliable and could be the main router if that would help the security situation, but it is not very feature filled as far as routers go.

Thanks

Reply to
Bryant Smith
Loading thread data ...

You have two wireless routers.

Got an old spare computer collecting dust?

If so, have you considered a captive portal?

formatting link
I'm doing just that. The AP on the captive portal is even running completetly open (unencrypted) for my neighbors (or anyone else) to use when they are outside on their porch. I like sharing.

Yep, everything that matters to me is secure and protected.

Reply to
Eric

Bryant Smith hath wroth:

The Funk (Juniper) Software Odessy client will possibly provide WPA-PSK support for the X3i. See:

formatting link
instructions. Try the 30 day free trial to be sure.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the replies. The Juniper Odyssey client is a little too pricey for the use it will get and I don't want to have a machine running all the time. I think the solution I'll use is one from Jeff posted Nov 3 2005. I'll use a double NAT configuration for the insecure network. Here is a link to the previous thread for those interested:

My trusty old Speedstream should be able to handle this configuration. If it can't, I'll see if I can set up a virtual lan or something like it using my dd-wrt router.

Reply to
Bryant Smith

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:49:42 -0700, Bryant Smith wrote in :

LAN #1 WAN===[Router #1]===================[Router #2]=======LAN #2

WAN = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx WAN = 192.168.1.2 WAN NM = 255.255.255.0 WAN NM = 255.255.255.252

Reply to
John Navas

John Navas hath wroth:

It works in at least 2 locations. I did some testing to see if I could "see" any of the clients on LAN #1 from LAN #2. Nope. As long as the Netmask of Router #2 was limited to a small subnet, nothing outside of that subnet was visible (or pingable).

Note that this is how ZoneCD sets up their "isolated" hot spot router: |

formatting link

That's possible but unlikely. Most decent routers have a built in ACL rule set for the WAN port that prevents attackers from the WAN from spoofing LAN IP addresses. Unfortunately, there are routers that will allow spoofing of LAN addresses from the WAN side. I think one of the early versions of the DI-604 did just that.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:24:05 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

My brother used to say he hadn't died, so smoking must not be all that harmful. ;)

I'd want to do more thorough analysis before reaching any conclusions.

Forgive me for being unimpressed, but I don't know ZoneCD. What I do know is that there are lots of crappy products on the market.

That's an assumption.

What relevance does that have to my scenario?

Reply to
John Navas

My spare router does allow me to set up routing tables, but I've never done that sort of thing before. I would assume that I could set up a rule that would route all traffic going from the insecure side to the WAN and not the LAN. I don't have access to my network right now, so I'll have to check this out later.

Reply to
Bryant Smith

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:41:09 -0700, Bryant Smith wrote in :

What you want is to *block* all traffic addressed to LAN #1, not send it to the WAN (gateway, actually Router #1), which might result in it being forwarded to LAN #1.

Reply to
John Navas

Excuse my ignorance, but will blocking all traffic to LAN #1 also block access to the internet since the main router (the one connected to the modem) is technically in LAN #1?

Reply to
Bryant Smith

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:38:38 -0700, Bryant Smith wrote in :

Sorry for not being clear -- what I meant was blocking all traffic with destination addresses on LAN #1 other than the WAN gateway (Router #2); i.e.,

Pass: 192.168.1.1 Block: 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.