Maybe OT...

This may not be the exact place to ask this question, but I figured someone around here could at least point me in the proper direction. My father-in-law was recently in the ICU. One time while using my iPod Touch to look up my e-mail using the patient's wifi network, I noted two other secured administrative networks. I also saw that much of the telemetry was sent via Wifi to the nurses' station and the charting area immediately outside the door. The nurses each had a hand held version of their computer screens and when the doctor's rounded they had a really nifty golf-cart looking thing with Wifi access to all of the notes, telemetry, etc., etc. This made me wonder, (1) are there problems with Wifi pollution in these areas that might lead to mix-ups or the inability to get information when needed. (2) Since I am a writer, if there was a story in this for some of the mags I write for. SO, can anybody here send me to a place I might be able answer these questions and maybe an expert or two to talk to? Thanks.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman
Loading thread data ...

I don't know much about medical telemetry. What little I know is that Wi-Fi is commonly used for getting patient records with guidelines from HIPAA. However, the actual equipment telemetry is jammed between land mobile channels, on empty TV channels, and in dedicated WMTS bands. WMTS (Wireless Medical Telemetry Service) is FCC 95.630 using

608-614 MHz, 1395-1400 MHz, 1427-1434 Mhz.

I found this PowerPoint presentation that covers the major issues.

WMTS is run by the ASHE (American Society of Healthcare Engineering). See the "telemetry - WMTS" section at:

The ASHE seems like a good place to start your research. The recent juggling of SD->DTV channels is possibly causing some problems with telemetry devices that use the TV bands. Dunno.

The local hospital (Dominican CHW) now has Wi-Fi throughout the hospital areas. The system has sufficient capacity that it's now possible for a patient to obtain a temporary account.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks. I'll look over the links. MUCH appreciated. k

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

This is nearly 4 years old but an interesting watch.

Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.