Max no. of repeaters per access point

Just wanted to know if there is any max limit of repeaters per access point. My client was asking if he could escape using more access points by installing wireless repeaters.

Moreover, is there any price difference between access points and wireless repeaters, or they are more or less the same?

Thanks a lot Gautam

Reply to
gautamzone
Loading thread data ...

There's no theoretical limit, but there are some problems with too many repeaters.

1. The maximum thruput gets cut in half for every repeater hop. If you can move perhaps 20Mbits/sec through an access point, then the first repeater will limit the thruput to 10Mbits/sec. The 2nd will yield 5Mbits/sec. The 3rd will yield 2.5Mbits/sec, etc. This is not a problem with back to back radios acting as a repeater as they can run full duplex using two different RF channels. However, these cost twice as much.
  2. Adding store and forward repeaters and "range extenders" requires that everything run on the same RF channel with the same SSID. That means you'll get quite a bit of interference from your own repeaters. On a given channel, only one radio in a given airspace can transmit at a time. If you have a "hidden transmitter" problem, then you will have interference from your own radios.
  3. In a repeater system, a lost packet along the path has to be resent from scratch. You'll find that repeaters generate considerable duplicated traffic.
  4. Repeater protocols (including WDS) are not very well defined. They will not work with every access point and client radio available. Most manufacturers have a limited list of compatible hardware.

In case it's not obvious, I don't like repeaters (and mesh networks) and think of them as little better than unintentional jammers.

Incidentally, I'm scheduled to partially rip out a system consisting of one access point and 5 repeaters real soon and replace it with wired access points. I was also instrumental in convincing the county to remove their "range extender" that was repeating literally everything it heard and creating more interference than connectivity.

I have no idea. Obviously, your client has an existing wireless system. If you would kindly disclose the make and model of the existing hardware, it might be possible to find a compatible repeater or access point and attach a price tag.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.