Marconi and the early years of wireless at SOCALWUG Meeting Tonight.

The So Cal Wireless Users Group is meeting tonight, Thursday 07/27/06 at 7pm (Pacific).

formatting link

Presentation by Frank Keeney:

Imagine a time when many scientists believed that radio waves would only travel line of sight. A time when the only way to send a long distance message was over telegraph cables.

Just over a hundred years ago this was the case.

Guglielmo Marconi in 1901 proved that wireless waves were not affected by the curvature of the Earth, he used his system for transmitting the first wireless signals across the Atlantic between Poldhu, Cornwall England, and St. John's, Newfoundland.

I'm sure most of us remember the centennial celebration in 2001 of Marconi's achievements.

On a recent trip to Cornwall England, I visited both the Marconi Poldhu and Lizard Point wireless stations where Marconi performed his early experiments. In order to make this transmission over the Atlantic tremendous obstacles needed to be overcome.

Only during this visit did I realize the magnitude of what Marconi did in

At the next SOCALWUG meeting I'll present some of the fascinating events that lead up to Marconi's success.

I'll have stories, video and photos of these two historical wireless sites and information you may not find elsewhere.

Who should attend?

Wireless users Wireless technicians and engineers Business people interested in wireless People working in the wireless community Wireless Security professionals People new to wireless People interested in meeting others involved in the wireless community Buyers of wireless technology products and services Those interested in lively technical discussions ranging from beginner to expert People old to wireless

Meeting location, directions and video streaming information at

formatting link
(Video streaming information will be on the website Thursday afternoon). Our free video streaming is courtesy of
formatting link
Meeting Cost: Free!

Agenda (times are approximate):

7:00 Mixing - business/friend contacts 7:10 Logon> Introductions to the group and key members 7:15 Announcements & News Items 7:20 General Q&A 7:30 Frank Keeney
formatting link
Mixing - break off into groups of discussions 9:00 Logoff> 10:00 Discussions move to the parking lot

When:

Every Fourth Thursday

7:00pm to 9:00pm (Pacific) Thursday 07/27/06 7pm

Where:

Pasadena IHOP Restaurant (rear meeting room)

3521 E. Foothill Blvd Pasadena, CA 91107 Location:
formatting link
SSID:
formatting link
GPS: N 34 09.032 - W 118 04.645

Take the Train!

MTA Gold Line "Sierra Madre Villa" station Visit the MTA site for times and stations:

formatting link
this MapQuest link for a walking map from the SMV station:
formatting link
Note: Please come hungry and support our host. Food served during meeting. Separate checks.

Please redistribute this notice.

Thank you

Frank Keeney Pasadena Networks, LLC Antennas, Cables and Equipment:

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Keeney
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.