Many wireless card doesn't support Linux?

Yes, usually each post is different, and only some that "tell you how" actually work, I know, I've gone down that road, edit this, edit that, and before you know it, it's time to re-install Linux because it's totally screwed up. Well that's the case for the Netgear WG511. It also has a Prism chipset which most Linux installers detect fine, but it doesn't work.

I've had no problems with wired NIC's it's just these darn wireless ones that are just impossible to figure out with Linux.

Reply to
Jack The Splat
Loading thread data ...

Naw, don't do anything rash.

Well, boil me in oil and call me a hush puppy. 802.11g? That's excellent!

If you're not joshing, thanks for setting me straight. Spank IBM, Novell, and RedHat for their evil lies - maybe it's a PPC vs. x86 arch issue? Any chance you installed a driver on the side, and it wasn't bundled with the kernel?

FWIW, it's not my opinion, its what Torvalds, Morton, et. al., consider mainstream and release. That is, the kernel.org kernels are "mainstream" kernels, as opposed to Alan Cox's patched "AC kernels", and 2 dot even are release kernels.

Alternative kernels frequently have unique features, like hardware support or iptables integration. Hence, my caveat that support might not be out of the box.

Reply to
Uncle Chuck

node, ndiswrapper really cool tool.

Reply to
yechun.yan

Then where do you get your ideas? 2.6.13.2 is (or at least, was yesterday) the latest _stable_ kernel release. afaik, all versions of 2.6 have supported 802.11g, at least on some cards. It all depends on the driver developers.

You didn't say that. You said there was _no_ support in the mainstream kernel.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

There seems to be a 30 day trial version of Wireless LAN DriverLoader as well as the paid version:

Wireless LAN devices

Quantity Description Price per unit (US$) Wireless LAN DriverLoader 30-day trial license FREE TRIAL Wireless LAN DriverLoader permanent license Buy One $ 19.95

Derek Brought> If you're going to continue an argument, at least be well enough behaved not

Reply to
frankdowling1

I am using Red Hat LInux 9 and Linksys WUSB54GS wireless adapter, so I need to install special driver to talk to the adapter? The CD of the adapter only supports Windows.

Reply to
apngss

Yes, you need to install ndiswrapper or driverloader from linuxant. They will use the windows drivers to run the usb wireless.

Reply to
Unruh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.